1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old tapes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by friend of the friendless, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Liability is the answer I've been given. I've never quite understood it, if you've done everything correctly.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Pete must not have been aware that Cleon Jones, also of the Miracle Mets, is from Mobile too.

Also the hometown of Satchel Paige, Billy Williams, Willie McCovey and Ozzie Smith, among many other major leaguers.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, Pete knew that, and so does Blitz. I was working at the same paper as Blitz at the time, and the whole event was a Mobile baseball suck-off other than Blitz's gambling question.

However, the Ozzie Smith claim is a little suspect. His family moved to California when he was six (he played on the same high school baseball team as Eddie Murray, and on the same basketball team as Marques Johnson). He was born there, but he doesn't claim Mobile as his home.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, as long as you haven't screwed up, it seems like keeping tapes would protect you rather than making you liable.

Maybe newspaper bigwigs assume their employees are gonna screw up, whereas broadcast bigs don't.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Pete doesn't hold with getting caught having sex in a van. Not unless he's got money on it.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think that's the case. The difference is that in broadcast media, audio/video is the life's blood. They save that stuff, just as we archive our papers. That's all.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

They may not be worried about the people who never screw up -- if everyone is told to toss their notes regularly, then the person who does screw up has an excuse for not having notes.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good points, I guess.

But say this for Mobile - the city has produced more Hall of Fame baseball players than any city other than NYC and Chicago.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No doubt. If you expand it to include the entire state of Alabama --- Willie Mays, Heinie Manush, Early Wynn, Joe Sewell and some others, it's an impressive list.

Draft saved Draft deleted