1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Tandy laptops

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bearcat Wright, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And does anybody remember sending stories at 300 baud? Just a bit different than a wireless connection.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

I've never used one, but after reading all this, I'd like to have one also, just to see what it was like back in the day.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Try explaining what baud is to someone who's entered the business in the past, oh, 10 years.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Or better yet, hand them a Teleram Portabubble and tell them to go cover a game.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1997, I'm covering cross country in NYC while staying with the girlfriend's family. So we get back to her place, and I prep to file. Her dad's a computer techie. I take out the Trash 80 and the dude was mesmerized by that flippin' thing. He couldn't believe those things still were in existence.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Back in the day. Christ.
    "Back in the day," I used a typewriter when I covered events on the road. Back in the day? Sometimes took 30 minutes to transmit.
    Even at "300 baud," you were filed in a couple of minutes. Not as instant as "click" with your e-mail but still.

7. I'd send you the one I used to use that failed me on deadline three times after a football game at Pitt, but I threw it off the top rim of the stadium.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Could you at least post a photo?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I always wanted to toss mine from the pressbox but was afraid it might damage the bleachers.

10. mose

mose Member

Amazingly simple, durable and occasionally exasperating. Had one blank out on me on deadline one night about 20 years ago. After bouncing it off the walls of my hotel room for about five minutes, thing inexplicably returned to working order.

Nothing like trying to file by way of a pay phone in the pouring rain.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How did that work?

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

My senility's kicking my ass today, but for any of you old-timers: What the hell was the name of the old sort of pre-fax contraption (pre Trash 80) that weighed a ton and you had to lug around in a Samsonsite-type suitcase?

You'd type a page of copy on your manual typewriter, feed it into a roller, call the office and stick the phone in the coupler as someone in the office stuck their phone into an identical machine at the same time. If you wanted speed but poor quality, it took four minutes to scan a page. (Slightly) better copy took six minutes to scan. Even "good" quality transmissions sucked.

Can't believe I can't remember the name of those things. They damn near killed me. The Trash 80s were a Godsend after those.

Draft saved Draft deleted