1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old School MLB Top Ten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 14, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m THAT guy, but I still enjoy sitting in backyard reading paper and perusing the MLB top ten leaders. I know it’s available online but I still enjoy it in print better.

garrow likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Used to love the Sunday AP batting and pitching tables. Outside of The Sporting News, the only way to see the league averages at a glance.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There was a time when, thanks to Sunday averages and the Top 10, I could tell you within +/- 5 pts the batting average of any major league player at any given moment. Oh, to be 14 and have that much space available in my brain again.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still remember when the local paper would run the stats of all the minor leaguers from the area in its Sunday baseball package.

CD Boogie and justgladtobehere like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was the same way. Back when stolen bases mattered, too.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I worked for the Gannett paper, we used to run a page each Sunday on local players who were either in the minors and the handful of locals who were in the majors.

It was a pain in the ass because whoever designed it had to look up the stats for roughly a dozen players and type them in, and our Internet service was slow.

It was a breeze to do the MLB Sunday page, yusually. Pop in the hitting and pitching stats, hit the code string, and pop it on the page. Two of the six columns were filled in five minutes. If there was room for the gamers and roundup elsewhere, run an early feature or two and the page was done in less than an hour.

maumann likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And RBIs, dammit!

#WARisHell

heyabbott likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I miss Jason Stark’s column in the Philly (?) paper that we used to use for some of our notes package on Sunday. Simply hilarious.

Ran a horse mugshot once. I was very proud of myself for that.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Gammons Notes stuff across from a full page of stats was awesome for a young baseball fan

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted