1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old newspaper front pages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by a_rosenthal, Jan 5, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

This could very well be in the wrong forum, but I'll give it a shot.

Does anybody know where I could purchase old newspaper front pages? I'm specifically looking for one after the Broncos' first Super Bowl win for a gift.

Any thoughts?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Start by contacting the paper in question. If it's a significant one, they'll probably have some.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You could try getting into contact with someone at the Denver Post, for example.

I know the Boston Globe sells front covers, I'm pretty sure most other big papers do it.

EDIT: Just beat me to it, deskslave.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Call Woody Paige. He'll know. Woody knows everything.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

One of my favorite pieces of memorabilia is a printing plate (the actual plate the page was dyed onto) of the San Diego Union-Tribune after the Broncos beat the Packers in San Diego.

Elway on the cover, holding the trophy.

Damn, that is sweet...

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like others have said, try the Denver newspapers. I know the Free Press has a section on its web site that has old sports fronts, along with other books that they've printed (Ernie Harwell's columns, Mitchie Boy's books, etc.).

Denver has one too, although it looks like this page only lists some of the current ones. I'd be surprised if they don't have an archives somewhere.

http://shopping.postnewsmarketplace.com/SS/Tiles.aspx

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Thanks for mentioning the Free Press store. I've always wanted to get their 1998 "HAIL YES" cover. Looks like I have to buy 14 other covers with it, but what the hell.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll sell you the original paper....

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

It seems kind of obvious, at least to me, but remember that in the case of contacting these papers, as supply goes down, prices and demand go up.

I've paid an unnecessary sum of money for front pages in the past. This might be close.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have the original Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post papers framed and on a wall here. And I have the games on DVD (as well as the AFC Championship Games). Sorry, you can't have them.

But you can get the Rocky Mountain News covers from both Broncos Super Bowl wins.

Note, these are not original papers, but copies of them.

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=gallery&gallery_id=13676&provider_id=179

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

:'( :'( :'(

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

All I know of is eBay, and that's it.

I have been trying to find the Harvard beats Yale 29-29 paper from the Harvard Crimson.

Draft saved Draft deleted