1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old news: Artie Lange hospitalized ... New news: Suicide attempt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Back in the day, he was an active part of the show -- even just where he did the Jackie laugh every time there was a tragic story. Ever since the divorce and Jackie leaving, weeks have gone by without him saying a word. I haven't listened in about a year, but he was basically an afterthought.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but there's no better sound effects guy in radio.

The Jackie laugh during tragic stories always had me in tears. It was even funnier when you would hear Jackie protesting in the very background.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Artie isn't serious. This guy was serious.
    http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/FOSTER_COVERUP/SUICIDE/dwyer.mpg

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horseshit.
    I've out-lived my father. It's because I don't smoke two packs of Pall Malls and drink a quart of scotch per day. Did I mourn his passing? Absolutely, because he was, at heart, a good person. Do I feel guilty I'm not living that lifestyle and passed him in years? Hell no. Sounds like Artie Lange has contrived a nice excuse to eat, drink, smoke and otherwise ingest anything he wants, and/or be mentally fucked enough to stab himself nine freaking times. Classy to tacitly blame your father for that.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry to veer this back to Stern instead of Artie. Back in the day's of Private Parts -- first the book and then the movie -- does anyone really believe that Howard didn't engage in anything extra-marital behind Alison's back? Seriously. He writes in the book as though he was the most monogamous guy in the world. And I don't believe it for a second.

It reminds me a little bit of Jim Bouton in Ball Four writing about how affairs on the road a regular part of the scene but he, of course, is completely immune from the temptations.

All that said, I hope Artie gets some real and serious help.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My hunch is that he was monogamous -- he seemed to use his radio show as therapy and discussing his issues with marriage. Maybe he did something with one of those Scores girls from time to time, but i tend to doubt it.

Or he just did a great job creating a fake persona to relate to his audience.

7. Mizzougrad96

He's implied on the air that the life he was exposed to while filming the movie was what caused him to decide to leave his first wife. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

More than one time he's pointed out how strange it was that he decided to leave his wife while filming a movie about how great their relationship and marriage was.

He's essentially banned from talking about Allison on air now as part of their divorce agreement.

8. Mizzougrad96

After his divorce, he dated Angie Everhart and Robin Givens (confirmed) and it's widely rumored that he hooked up with Carmen Electra and Demi Moore.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you don't have the same personal problems as someone else, the other person is faking it?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I never had a problem getting a job offer from the Plain Dealer.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't listen to Stern at all anymore. I don't have Sirius. Used to listen regularly and the bit where one of his guys called some show the day Bob Hope died and pretended to be an old agent of Hope almost cost me my life. Laughed so hard I almost lost control of the car. Had to pull over and regroup. I think Webby posted the same day I did about that, took him forever to clean his cereal off the wall after hearing it.

Stern had his moments and Lange was a major part of things. I could give a fluck about Stern's marriages, etc. I hope Artie is OK. It's a sad thing to be that fucked up.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or mocking me. Hmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted