1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Dominion fires basketball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Virginia basketball: We lost to a team whose coach may have been drunk!"

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. That's right.

LOL!!!!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read a blog - no byline I could see so I don't know where to credit - that had a good summation. He wasn't fired for being 2-20. He was fired for how he got there (apparently some very lax recruiting in recent years among other things) and how he handled being 2-20.

I covered Blaine, dealt with him when I worked at VCU, dealt with him again after I left. Could be a seriously arrogant ass but overall isn't a bad guy and he's a very good coach. If he is off the wagon, I hope he gets the help he needs.

ODU is in our building when I'm working at VCU. Our guy won't go out of his way to help opposing radio and often won't do much to help VCU radio. Forty-five minutes before tipoff, I introduce our radio guy to Taylor. Can we do a quick one? Sure, Taylor says. And gives a great interview when most coaches are off hiding and doing whatever they do that is so important right before warmups.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but this statement disturbs/concerns me. You can't imagine not consuming alcohol? It is not a necessity.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would also hate to be a teetotaler. I've tried it (fitness etc.) and life is a damn lot less fun.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

No, it's been a pretty miserable time. To think, two years ago they were a last-second shot from beating Butler and possibly taking over their run, setting up an ODU-VCU Final Four game that truly would have made my head a splode.

They'll give Jim Corrigan a look, but they may want to treat everything associated with this season as a Superfund site. Hell, they may play at Scope for a year or two to let the toxicity levels go down to Taco Bell levels at the Constant Center. Conventional wisdom says get a kid who can rebuild a program and reinvigorate it, but it's not as though you can get a 4-pack of Brad Stevenses or Shaka Smarts at the Sam's Club. Wonder how much Bobby Wilder knows about basketball?

I can hear the discussion in the Selection Committee meeting:

"So someone make the case for Virginia"
    "Well, they won their last 12 games before losing by 1 point in octupule OT to Miami in the ACC title game. They beat Duke when their medical staff brought back a zombie Jim Valvano to give the pre-game pep talk. And they held Florida State to negative 7 points."
    "And the counter?"
    "They lost to Old Dominion"
    "Then it's settled. Virginia gets three years probation"
    Sir, we're not the Infractions Comm ..."
    "THREE YEARS PROBATION!"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I found life is much more fun when I'm not fat and hungover.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have a six pack of beer (well, four pack now) that's been sitting in my fridge since Christmas, and the two dead ones were not consumed together. I'd have to start drinking to quit drinking.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I took that to mean that dealing with trying not to succumb to the temptation on daily basis would be extremely difficult way to live. I'd agree with that.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yes. That's what I was gittin' at.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You get used to it.

For me, it's the fact that I take a lot of pride in being sober that makes it easier to deal with.

But it never goes away, nor should it. BTW, today is 8 years, 9 months and 23 days, one day at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted