1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Dominion fires basketball coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Feb 6, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/college-basketball/old-dominion-fires-taylor-as-coach

What on earth happened there? They were good mid-major for a long time.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A 20-year recovering alcoholic, he gave an interview recently that was so bizarre with the rambling and the slurred speech that it caused legitimate questions about whether he had fallen off the wagon.

3. printit

printit Member

Kinda figured something had to have happened there. Sad. Hope he recovers.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For their most recent game, he got to the arena half an hour before tip.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Happy hour wasn't going to finish itself.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

All joking aside, if he has fallen victim to alcoholism again, I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. It's an insidious thing.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Is it "off the wagon" or "on the wagon"?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you're drinking you're off the wagon.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't drink much, but I can't imagine having to live as a teetotaler. I hope he gets the help he needs, and can find a less stressful job as an analyst, or something.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This year was a perfect storm of recruiting failures, ODU having nothing to play for since they're in a lame-duck season in the CAA before moving to C-USA and Taylor's apparent personal demons. The result -- 2-20 after however many 20-win seasons in a row. I guess if you're gonna fall apart, then fall apart with a flaming exclamation point.

Clearly ODU was well aware of his alcohol problems, because he's come clean about them. So why the hell was Bud Light sponsoring the coach's show? Theoretically you can get drunk on Bud Light.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not a great 365 days for ODU. Didn't it have a player arrested during warm-ups of a game last year? Fuzzy on the details at the moment, but it might have been during the conference tournament.

I'll be interested to see who they interview and ultimately hire. One state columnist has already been pimping the assistant they made the interim coach yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted