1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old clips to PDF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I've been able to convert my stories into PDF files, but the problem I've run into is taking oversized clips that needed to be scanned at an office store and then converting those into PDFs. They convert just fine, but they take up too much memory. When I e-mail them, my e-mail bounces back because it's too large to be accepted. I haven't figured a way around this problem except to apply by snail mail. It sucks because some of my oversized clips are my best ones.

2. i still find that well-packaged physical packages get more of a response, even from the younger set of editors, than most of my e-mail stuff. maybe that's just me.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Easy.

When you've got your PDF open in Adobe Acrobat, go to "File" > "Reduce File Size." It'll flatten the images and compress it into a file at less than 1MB, which doesn't affect the viewing and should allow you to e-mail with ease.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me too.

[​IMG]

(sorry could not resist. please resume the regularly scheduled and pertinent thread)

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

An easy way to do it on a Mac is go to print in word, scan, whatever you're using . Then you can click on a button "PDF" in the bottom left corner of the prompt screen. It'll give you the option to save as a pdf nice and easy.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

CutePDF http://cutepdf.com/download/CuteWriter.exe

It's fantastic. You install it, then no program appears but when you're in Microsoft Word, it will show up as a printer. Select it and it'll ask you where you want to save it as a PDF. Basically, it "prints" a PDF by just saving it on your computer. I'm sure I'm making it sound more complicated than it really is, but it's great and free and saves you from a trip to Kinko's.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In my case, Buck, I do have an all-in-one inkjet that should do a decent job of scanning stuff in. Will have to do some manipulating to get the bigger clips into 8.5x11" size for the scanner glass, but that's doable with reducing the copying size.

So I'm going to snag that CutePDF program and spend a chunk of my weekend pulling together a job-hunting -- or (sniff :'( ) career-changing -- package of resume/clips. Probably overdue for getting after this and getting out of this.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My backward system is to scan the clips in, save them as JPGs, open them in Adobe Illustrator and then save that file as a PDF.

It takes a bit of time, but it isn't hard. It also requires the use of an expensive program rarely anyone has at home, though.

9. I don't receive the "Reduce File Size" option. Do you know if that's because I have a freeware version of Adobe Acrobat?

10. No, it's not even grayed out. It's not there at all. I downloaded version 9 for free and still nothing. Is it possible to tell me what version you have? (Pro 9 or Pro Extended 9 perhaps?)

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Journalism five! Alright!

Draft saved Draft deleted