1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old B/W Movies Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lord, Citizen Kane not mentioned yet.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Citizen Kane is overrated.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To Kill A Mockingbird. A young Robert Duval as Boo Radley.

Not in B/W but in same year the original Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum
    and Gregory Peck.

4. Vombatus

Evil, I've been searching for the past hour and come up with nothing. Let me know if you figure it out.

5. I've been on this two days ... The movie was on TCM a few years ago (at least once) .. the guy who played the crooked sheriff was a 1940s-50s character actor. Fat guy. He was at least one other film - color - where he played a monk or priest on a Caribbean Island counseling the movie star (i think it was historical character). But I can NOT for the life of me remember the actors' name or the film.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Universal Monsters
    Dracula, Frankenstein, Invisible Man, Mummy, all the others. Still love the low-brow stuff.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already, so I'll throw out "The Apartment."

Jack Lemmon is tremendous as always, and the young Shirley MacLaine was quite the dish, to use the parlance of an even earlier time.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Definitely had a bit of a crush on the lovely Jacee Farrow. Willing to make an exception for this one.

9. Steak Snabler

Until you realize Welles invented a lot of the techniques he uses in the film (deep focus, low angle and reverse angle shots, lighting, mirror images, etc.).

Sort of like when then-Chicago Sun-Times sports editor Lewis Grizzard chastized Jerome Holtzman for using so many cliches in his columns. Holtzman responded "but those are my cliches!"

10. Vombatus

The Phenix City Story is all I can come up with, but it is about lawyers, not a newspaper .

11. Steak Snabler

Anybody mentioned "Deadline USA," in which Bogart plays a newspaper editor who wears a tuxedo to the office?

12. That's it!
    You got it.
    Really enjoyed this movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted