1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old B/W Movies Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well, obviously I haven't figured out how to properly post a reply i.e. my response to Vombatus above.

Riptide mentioned The Manchurian Candidate. I DVRed it this past weekend. I'd say Richard Condon's plot was close to genius.

I'm a huge fan of the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes series from the 1940s. Unfortunately, the only ones that seem to show up every so often are Dressed to Kill, A Woman in Green, Terror by Night, and Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'the Manchurian Candidate' is great.

RE:Basil Rathbone, the only one I ever see on TV is 'Hound of the Baskervilles.'

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Last Picture Show. Forty-three years ago this summer. That qualifies as old.

5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Some damn fine movies mentioned. My contribution:

Marty.....Borgnine was great
    Anatomy of a Murder....classic Jimmy Stewart and beautiful Lee Remick
    The Train (1965) .....underrated Frankenheimer.
    The Pawnbroker......Rod Steiger was a hell of an actor.
    Suspicion .......Hitchcock and a very good Cary Grant.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Anatomy of a Murder' = read the book, never saw the movie.
    Have to put that in the Netflix queue.

Lee Remick was really stunning. She was in 'Sometimes a Great Notion,' which was not BW but is still a good movie. It is a great, great novel, but only a good movie.
    But it's in color, so I shouldn't have brought it up.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think it's been mentioned and I forgot it until just now, which is a surprise with this being a journalism board, but His Girl Friday is a fun movie.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's one of the all-time greats.

Also with Cary Grant: The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby. I always associate those together because the first time I saw both was in a double-feature at a repertory theater near campus way back when I was in college. Both are terrific films.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Another one: Treasure of the Sierra Madre. We don't need no stinking badges.

10. Third post on this thread.

I'd add
    Hud, great Paul Newman movie and "A Face in the Crowd."

Help me out here .. been racking my brain and searching the Internet to come up with it:
    Black and white movie - with no BIG star (1950s or 60s): about a crooked southern town with a honest newspaper editor or publisher who disappears (murdered) and his son takes over the paper and takes up his cause.
    There are two good Chartactrs in the movie, the crooked sheriff and one of the bad guys. Damned if I can't think of their names.
    I think the word "City" was in the movie title.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Stalag 17 is another great B&W.

And 12 O'clock High.

Sgt. York.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ninotchka
    Grand Hotel
    Fort Apache
    Grapes of Wrath
    Hw Green Was My Valley

Just go watch all the Ernst Lubitch, Howard Hawks and John Ford movies you can. When you're done come back and I'll give you some more

Draft saved Draft deleted