1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann v. ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, May 1, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

MLB Network's Keith Olbermann has some strong words for ESPN's baseball coverage. I don't get MLB Network, so I can't make my own observation. As far as Baseball Tonight, I watch for the highlights, but I tune out most of the analysis/breakdowns.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2011/05/01/you-can-rely-on-espn-theyll-always-let-you-down/

2. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Olbermann should have applied to be ESPN's next ombudsman when he had the chance.

My take on ESPN in general, since we're on the subject: Love the games, love the highlights, and I even appreciate the former pros and coaches who break down mechanics and other elements of the various sports. Can't stand the announcers for the most part, their constant self-promotion, referring to themselves as "experts" (the surgeon who dug into my shoulder and reassembled it is an expert, not some schmoe who tells me where he thinks so-and-so is going in the next draft), and their constant arse-kissing of A-Rod (baseball) Brett Favre (NFL), Kobe Bryant (NBA; watch a dunk replay one time; Bryant does it, watch it nine times), Beckham (soccer), Dale Jr. and Danica Patrick (motor sports). Unfortunately, ESPN is much like the BCS: Everyone hates it until it shows up on your campus.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Olbermann's outrage sparked by the inability to put Pablo Sandoval on the DL on his ESPN-hosted fantasy baseball team.

spnited is rolling in his grave.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love a good anti-ESPN rant as much as the next SportsJournalists.commer, but basing it around a fantasy roster snafu is some seriously weak sauce.

5. btm

btm Member

I was able to put Sandoval on there tonight, I don't know what his beef is

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think the beef was that he went on the DL before games on Saturday, therefore lineups for Saturday and Sunday were affected by not being able to put him on the DL.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No objection to the balance of the attack, but Schulman/Hershiser/Bobby V have enhanced the broadcast and the watchability of it. Give the devil his proper due. I no longer even have to depress the little round green button in the top corner of my scepter marked "MUTE."

It should never have taken them so long to break up the Sunday night booth.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As he wrote in the column, the site was fixed to his liking two hours after his post.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

I find I watch Baseball Tonight very little anymore. The mix just seems off. MLB is now the default channel when my cable boots up.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's just so sad what Keith's become.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a fuck about Olbermann's fantasy team![/ripsp]

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And he needs to realize how small he comes across trashing a former employer, particularly over something as stupid as a fantasy DL listing.

(And a side note: if that's his biggest gripe with ESPN's fantasy games, then they've dramatically improved over the years. They used to give you a free team if the draft got screwed up in your league. One year I had five teams, because they botched four drafts.)

Draft saved Draft deleted