1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann smooching up to ESPN honcho, hoping to return?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe ESPN should force Olbermann and Mariotti to work together on-camera.

See who cracks first.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I certainly can't see any way this could go wrong...

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was going to post that with Fox and NBC looking like they want to make a legitimate run at challenging ESPN, maybe one of them would take a shot on Olbermann, but then I thought about it for a second. I think he's about to learn the hard way that no matter how talented you are, if you are that difficult to work with you are eventually going to run out of places willing to deal with you.

4. Armchair_QB

Haven't Fox & NBC both fired him already?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's why I said I thought about it for a second and realized that wouldn't happen. Maybe he can work for BBC or something because he's exhausting his options in this country.

6. Armchair_QB

Smart move would be to drop his Current suit and beg al-Jazeera to hire him.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think Keith is big on soccer, so that lets BEin out.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It seems to me the best fit would be to work out a deal with MLB Network as some kind of contributor that absolutely minimizes his contact with other people.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If contact with others is the problem, he should write. TV is always collaborative no matter what you do.

10. Armchair_QB

Baseball America tried him as a columnist several years ago and he was awful.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the problem for Olbermann. He's not great as a general writer. He's a great TV writer. He's brilliant at delivering the lines on TV. If you can minimize how big a pain in the ass he'll be, he's worth.

Everyone thinks they can pull that off. It hasn't succeeded yet.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think Olbermann could have a future not as a traditional columnist but as a "quick hit" expert on baseball.

His bridge repair attempt to ESPN is about 16 years too late. He was once a pioneer in his field. Since he left Bristol, I don't think there's a single place he "ended well" in.

In 1997, Olbermann was the gold standard. He also spawned about 500 future TV sports anchors (myself included) who wrote with a similar level of energy, irony and snark. Some of those 500 now have the plum jobs in the business, including ESPN, and we are all easier to work with than Keith Olbermann.

Draft saved Draft deleted