1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann smooching up to ESPN honcho, hoping to return?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 4, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sports/keith-olbermann-expresses-interest-in-return-to-espn.html?ref=media&_r=0

He has a (reported) $70M lawsuit going against Current TV, but in the meantime he's angling to get back home.

Olbermann’s expressions of interest included dinner at New York’s Four Seasons Restaurant with John Skipper, ESPN’s president.

“Keith Olbermann, both personally and through a couple people I know, reached out to say, ‘Gee, I would love to have dinner,’ ” Skipper said. “I agreed to dinner with Keith because I assumed he’d be provocative and witty and fun to have dinner with, and he was indeed lots of fun. We talked sports and politics, and we had a nice chat. He is very interesting.

“Clearly he was looking to see if there was an entry point to come back.”

That should work out fine, since Keith is so easy to get along with and keeps everything copacetic.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He got a lot of air time during the recent 30 for 30 short on the T206 Wagner baseball card, too.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Keith Olbermann would still be one of my faves had he never left ESPN.

I will never view Keith O in the same way after his MSNBC sojourn.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whatever the topic he's hired for, a network can be sure of two things when it hires Olbermann. 1. Ratings will go up. 2. Number one won't be worth all the agita.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree with Dan Patrick that he'd be good on MLB. Maybe do "essays" two to four times a week putting what we are seeing in any given week (an unusual play, performance etc.) into historical context.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed the description from an ESPN exec (I think in Freeman's book) about his leaving: He didn't burn bridges. He napalmed them.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We need the "How bout no" bear right about now...

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not seeing this happening, not after burning bridges in Bristol. Plus he'd be one of many voices deamanding attention at the WWL, unlike his first stint.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does Olbermann realize Sportscenter is all about social media trends now, and forced debate?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. He'd be miserable unless he was able to choose the topics, and write the scripts.

The quotes from ESPN's President are gold. He's basically ruled it out already. Would love to know how the Times got the story.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Simmons would probably nix it, given their feud, but letting Olbermann produce/direct a 30 for 30 might be a good move.

If they are giving Mariotti a freelance assignment, they can find one for Olbermann too.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

As a stalwart crusader against arrogant media people, this story makes me smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted