1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As I said...I blame soccer.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's been so long now, but didn't it start out covering five big stories in sort of "long form" and avoiding all of the tabloid bullshit?

I know he still sort of did the "countdown" of the stories, but it all became political news and commentary. Too many interviews with pundits and not enough real news.

And to much "worst persons in the world," "oddball," and "special comments."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Right at begining of sign off he states "anybody who has been told just what I have been told - this is your last show.

He must have been shitcanned.

I like Comcast already.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a resignation.

I'm shocked they didn't tell him after the show. But, to his credit, he handled it pretty classy.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Whatever your political feelings, you can watch that and know Olbermann is a damn good writer.

6. Some prostitute is going to catch one hell of a beating tonight!

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if MSNBC was hoping for a "must-see TV" breakdown from Olbermann

8. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Would this count?

[​IMG]

9. YankeeFan

True. And, if they only told him shortly before he went on the air, when did he write it -- during commercial breaks?

The guy's talented. He's just unable to work for anyone. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and so he ends up not respecting his bosses.

We all know people like this. To some degree, I'm like this. I hate working for dumb people. So, now I work for myself. The only problem is...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only person of NBC leadership he thanked is dead. Pretty telltale. No thanks for Phil Griffin - MSNBC President.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Correct, though for a while No. 2 was "Keeping Tabs," his roundup of all the tabloid shlock, often introduced like, "In a story my producers are making me do..." That stuff helped make a nice mix, as well as his interviews with the New York DJ about American Idol, which were usually pretty funny.

One thing you could see happen with Olbermann's questions over the years is they went from actually extracting information to browbeating his guests to agreeing with him, which is probably why the stable of guests kept getting smaller. (Could someone punch that knob from The Nation already?)

And all this is from someone who is generally in agreement with Olbermann's politics. I guess I don't get off on being spoon-fed what I already know and feel.

12. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I blame Jay Leno.

Draft saved Draft deleted