1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

According to a tweet from @BreakingNews, which is run by MSNBC.

Last show is tonight.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boom just did a cartwheel and doesn't know why.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He resigned on the air. I was just watching. Like five minutes ago. He didn't give a reason.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear what happened.

Were they just sick of his act or was there a new issue?

And where the hell does he go from here? He's burned every bridge in the business.

Who do they put on in that time slot? One of their other prime time personalities, or someone new?

5. dooley_womack1

Patch, I guess

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What did he say?

I might have to watch the replay.

Do we think he told management ahead of time that he was resigning? Would they have let him on the air if they knew he was resigning?

7. printdust

printdust New Member

First thing I thought of is a step toward decency....I'd cut Hannity from Fox in the spirit of cooperation, but Fox won't.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Started with how he didn't get to make a big goodbye on ESPN, so he's glad to be given the opportunity here. Thanked a bunch of people at MSNBC. Then he read a James Thurber short story about "vitriol," said, "Goodnight and Good luck," tossed his papers good-naturedly, and threw it to the Maddow show.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I have to think it was a resignation. Would they have let him on the air if he knew he was getting shitcanned?

Or perhaps it was a mutual decision. Contract's up, won't be renewed, thanks for your service, etc.

10. This has to be the work of Sarah Palin

11. dooley_womack1

I blame soccer

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. the original tweet said MSNBC was ending the contract. I suspect Keith may have resigned on-air because he chose to no longer work for a network that had just fired him.

I've been an Olbermann fan dating back to his days doing sports in LA but his MSNBC stint did nothing for me, and I'm not particularly opposed to him politically. At the end of the day, a smug asshole you agree with is still a smug asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted