1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann on ESPN

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jackfinarelli, Apr 22, 2014.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Olbermann has been on the various ESPN networks for about 6 months now. I certainly have not watched every program in that run; I would estimate that I have seen 30-35 of them.

I am interested to know what others here think of the program. Obviously, since I keep tuning in when I am awake at that hour, I think the program is worth the time it takes to watch.

I also think that the quality of Olbermann’s opening commentaries and his interview segments demonstrate why he continues to be hired to do this kind of programming given his history of less-than-amicable departures from several previous positions.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't go out of my way to watch it, but it's enjoyable when it's on.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of Keith Olbermann's work, from the time he was at KTLA in Los Angeles in the mid-80s. I always have liked the humorous way he went about the highlights (which he of course perfected with Dan Patrick at ESPN), and he could craft some very interesting features. From what I've read, and from the experiences a former co-worker had with him, I definitely wouldn't want to be in the same office with him, but as a viewer that's neither here nor there.

I do catch the current show while I can, and the format seems to allow him to do what he does best. He does get a little self-righteous at times, but it is an entertaining show, and if I can, I always like to catch his three worst persons segment at the midpoint of his show.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I value my time too much anymore to waste watching a serial malcontent rant about sports.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Like mpcincal, I go back to the KTLA days with K.O. Always been a big fan. He's funny, smart and sharp.

And I think this show is much more up his alley. Politics -- as we all know, ahem, from this site -- is very polarizing. And on his show on MSNBC toward the end (well, most of the time), he came off with too much piss and vinegar and it turned people off.

I watch the ESPN show as much as I can and I like it, mainly because it's less divisive.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The nice thing about Olbermann's show is it works just as well as a podcast. I'll listen to it a couple times a month that way. If he ever becomes so hard to work with that he can't get another TV gig, I think he'd be a fantastic podcaster.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This sounds about right. I don't go out of my way to watch, but it's usually pretty good when I catch it.

Draft saved Draft deleted