1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann on Cheney's "new fascism"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Unless, like so many other Americans, he viewed himself as being in the center of the American political spectrum and found himself on the left because the Bushfreaks warped the freakin' spectrum.
    It's pretty hard, I'd have to think, that anyone capable of objective thought doesn't see how radical the Bush Administration has become.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I always iimagined Olbermann was an anti-establishment type who'd go gunning for whoever was in office.

3. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Expounding on what pulitizerinthebag said the other day, journalists need to ask themselves: Are they watchdogs or lapdogs?
    Olbermann appears to be the former.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Olberman was harder on Clinton that just about anyone when he originally left ESPN. I think Inky is right. He just believes that journalists should question, and criticize, people in power.

The sad part is, the right has made it impossible to actually be against the things this administration is doing without being labled as a left-wing partisan. Isn't it possible that libertarians, centrists, communists, NAMBLA members and the anti-government Montana Freemen who tried to secede from the United States a few years ago might not like what George Bush is doing? Or would they all be in cahoots with Cindy Sheehan, Michael Moore and Hillary Clinton? That's the problem with the whole "With Us or Agaist Us" approach to foreign policy, is that you want to apply it to domestic policy as well, along with every day debate.

Olbermann isn't standing up for the left here, fellas. He's standing up for American ideals. He's got it right, and it's not a issue of whether or not you agree with him. The country was founded on certain priciples, two of the most important being:

1. That the president isn't a king and isn't above the law.
    2. Dissent is patriotic. In fact, it's what makes America, um, America. Even in war time.

If George Orwell could see us now, you'd hear him laughing all the way from England.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The administration has not stopped anybody from criticizing its policies.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, but I don't know if I like the idea of the Pentagon setting up an operation to monitor the US media...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_IRAQ_MEDIA_MONITORING?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-08-31-22-29-00

7. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Didn't Ari Fleischer tell us that we should watch what we say? This administration may not have directly stopped anyone from criticizing it, in the sense that it hasn't gone around closing newspapers and taking broadcasters off the air. But, with the help of its right-wing allies in the media, it has created a climate in which anyone who did criticize it immediately had his or her patriotism questioned, as if hating America were the only other possible stance for someone who disagreed with the Bushies. And that did a pretty damn good job of supressing dissent and criticism until Cindy Sheehan and Hurricane Katrina came along last summer and the media finally woke up.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Let's also not forget the bitter division of the country that's been accomplished by this group. No longer can you look at the actions of this administration and say, "Christ, these guys blow," and be anything other than a card-carrying liberal. There's no middle ground -- NONE. Either you agree or you're against them.

That's gonna come back to bite them on the ass, possibly in the midterm elections coming up. Several moderate Republicans, because of this division, will be lumped in with the White House clan and lose a shitload of votes, and maybe their jobs.

9. Seems to me the "bitter division" in this country stretches back to 1992. To borrow the way the lefties around here like to phrase things, led by the wanker who posted immediately before this post, it's so pitifuly obvious nobody with a brain cell working could have a different opinion.

And this "division" had absolutely nothing to do with Joe Lieberman losing in the Dem primary. Not a damn thing. And I'm the King of England.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

But it's perfectly rational to say that Olbermann is at the center of the political spectrum. Yaaaaa.

11. Don't you just love the way these idiots think? Like there couldn't possibly be another point of view. Funny how the "tolerant" left isn't tolerant of dissent.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Have you got some sort of special alert system set up to notify you whenever I post? Never fails. As soon as I hit the button, you're two minutes behind with some bullshit.

Anyway, and why I bother I don't know, because you'll just skip right over it, the division didn't start in 1992. There has always been a division, hence the two parties. There would be no need for two parties if everyone agreed.

The difference is that every president prior to this one has been able to bridge the gap between the two parties on important issues. Not only has GWB been unable to do that, he's flat refused to do it. Name one other president in the history of this country that has not one major bi-partisan action to his credit.

The Fredo White House has sought to divide the country on every issue. It's understandable to a degree. They knew that the only way to get this dipshit into office was to completely turn one side against the other and hope their side was bigger. The Dems have helped push their own demise in this by following right along and playing the same game. That's why you got the Lieberman fiasco.

Draft saved Draft deleted