1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann on Cheney's "new fascism"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

That was exceptional. I was thinking how it was kind of Murrowesque and when he finished by quoting Murrow it was perfect.

Anyone, and I mean, anyone, who thinks Rumsfeld's comments were just peachy keen doesn't really get the whole "being an American" thing — and didn't immediately pick up the similarity to comments made by ol' Tail Gunner Joe back in the 1950s isn't paying attention.

Maybe the media is now so timid and so bought off that we can't have a Murrow. But God bless Keith Olbermann for trying to be one. He is one of the few who make me proud of my chosen profession these days.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Olberman may be a blowhard but he's neither stupid nor a liar--both O'Reilly attributes.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . facts which just gall Loofah Boy to no end . . .

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I should just point out that even the Google Ads at the top of the board are anti-Bush ;D

http://www.xpressyourview.com/stickers___magnets

[​IMG]

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's funny that Olby wants to turn someone's words back on the guy, because calling the current administration Nazis and/or fascists is the same kind of alarmist fear-mongering for which the current administration is routinely criticized.
    The words 'Nazi' and 'fascist' are highly emotionally charged, and they don't add clarity in this context. Instead they are intentionally used to cloud reason and elicit a negative emotional response.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

By Rumsfeld.

Yes.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Regardless of whether you like Keith or not, you need to see this. It's brilliant writing. My archconservative office mate grumbled this morning "just because he's right doesn't mean I have to like it".

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of course.
    That's part of the point I was making.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

screw rummy.

preach it, Keith!

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And what a coincidence _ Olbermann said on Dan Patrick's show today that before he did his little rant, the pre-sales of his new book ranked in the thousands on Amazon.com. After the rant, his book moved up to 19th.

Maybe that's why he did it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I doubt if his passionate speech was brought on by a desire to sell books.

But if it was, he should be a leading man in Hollywood for being able to emote like that on cue.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I used to like "Countdown" before it turned so partisan.

For him to go on talk shows and claim that he has doesn't lean to the left really hurts his credibility when you consider his show on a nightly basis.

Before anyone jumps down my throat _ he has the right to say what he wants, and do what he wants with his program, even I disagree with what he says.

Considering his track record, it won't be long until he burns his bridges at MSNBC. Sad, really, because he does good things until his ego takes over.

Draft saved Draft deleted