1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann just dropped the "You're With Me Leather" joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Countdown's top newsmaker tonight was Rawlings, which announced at a presser today it will create an all-time Gold Glove team.

The Gold Glove awards as you may know celebrate great defensive play, or those who flash the leather.

The emcee of the news conference, according to KO, was Chris Berman.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Very witty, that Olbermann guy.
  3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Room Service! I'd like a cock-high fastball out over the plate, please...
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

KO has dropped the YWML line before. Each time he does it, I keep expecting him to be booted from Dan Patrick's radio show.
  5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Please forgive me for being naive and dumb, but after hearing the phrase so many times over the years, I have never heard about how Berman and that phrase came about.

I'll be a good little boy and sit down while someone tells me the Leather story. Thanks!!
  6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

From the fine folks at Deadspin
  7. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.
  8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

PT, I think I'll pass on your advice (in a kind way). Leave it to a veteran like Freelance to dust it off with ease. :)

BTW, it's you turn to bring donuts for Freelance and the Full Members on the message boards. That's waht newbies do! I usually pour the coffee.
  9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Wow. The fat-assed orca is a smooth operator.
  10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

For people who don't want to search ... From our friends at Wikipedia. I didn't know what it meant either, but it's freaking hilarious

"You're with me, leather" is a pick-up line reportedly used by ESPN anchor Chris Berman in Scottsdale, Arizona, in the mid-1990s, according to an anecdote submitted by a reader of the sports website Deadspin and made popular on the site after it was posted on Deadspin on April 11, 2006.[1]

According to the story, an anonymous contributor, whom Deadspin editor Will Leitch calls "a respected journalist," was flirting in a bar with an attractive woman wearing leather pants. However, his efforts proved unsuccessful when Berman, who was in Scottsdale to cover baseball spring training, walked by and told the woman "You're with me, leather." The woman immediately got up and left the bar with Berman.[2]

Berman's reaction
    The relationship between Berman and the woman is unknown, although he was married with two children at the time of the story. While Berman has not publicly commented on the story, he allegedly responded angrily when he was asked whether he had ever visited Deadspin by a 15-year-old fan during the 2006 NFL Draft, where he hosted ESPN's coverage. Berman reportedly told the fan, "Why would I go and do that? That is such a stupid question. What are you, stupid? That is so stupid." [3]

This response was referenced in a June 19, 2006 column by DJ Gallo of ESPN.com Page 2. In a fictional diary entry of golfer Phil Mickelson at the 2006 US Open, Gallo wrote, "But I can't believe I got a double bogey on 18. Why would I go and do that? That is so stupid. What am I, stupid? I am so stupid." [4]
  11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

All I got to say is dude keeps his pimp hand strong apparently.

"The Force is unusually strong with this one."
  12. tommyp

tommyp Member

Any inside info on the KO-Berman relationship? I'm sure there's gotta be some lingering feelings there, with KO eclipsing Berman's popularity at the Leader during KO's tenure there.
Draft saved Draft deleted