1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann gets boot as MSNBC anchor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Whether you are GOP or Dem, right or left, you've got to admit Olbermann had it coming.

He is so over the top in his expressed hatred and bitterness toward ANYTHING GOP---whether it be Bush, McCain or Palin---that he is much more a nuisance than he is an interesting news anchor.

Olbermann had it good at ESPN Sportscenter---that was his niche.

Just another victim of the Peter Principle.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, there was no pretense, was there? He was known to be over the top and liberal. They got what they wanted. And it wasn't just him who got moved out, right?

I got the impression it was more of the combo that got moved aside than just him.

3. clutchcargo

Point is, as a news anchor at MSNBC, Olbermann was a misfit. He would probably work better strictly as a partisan commentator.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I dunno. We've only had three other threads started on this matter.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If we could only get it on the jobs board *** we'd have a sweep.
    KIDDING. DO NOT DO IT!

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Let's just have running Palin and Olbermann threads and save all the clicking.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's a good idea since I started another thread not realizing this was already up.

Poor Keith and Chris.

I think it was a mistake to have them as the anchors of the coverage. They should have simply had them on as analysts from the outset.

8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I like Olbermann, but I'm OK with this because I'm all about objectivity. That said, if he gets fired and we live in a just world, then Sean Hannity should be on the unemployment line now. Unfortunately, we don't live in a just world.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hannity flings insults at certain political groups around, like confetti, while consistently ignoring salient facts which reduce most of his "arguments"
    to rubble.

Hey, boy, get back here and fill my water glass with good ol' Manhattan tap . . . and thanks.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Yeah, but Hannity isn't serving as anchor for a live news event. He's in a position where opinion is expected, rather than objectivity, just like Olbermann on his own show, which he still has. K.O.'s line of disdainful apology to viewers after the 9/11 tribute at the GOP convention is, in my opinion, what set this off. I was surprised they brought him back on the air after the break that night. David Gregory should do a fine job as host of the rest of the live political coverage.

11. clutchcargo

Producers of Hannity and Colmes promote the fact it's a partisan show on both sides of the aisle. It's the whole basis of the show, and however you want to criticize Hannity, you can heap an equal portion on Colmes.

As much as Hannity can be a blowhard, no way Colmes can truly believe half of what he says---he's just there to be contrarian. When you start arguing that Obama's greatest CEO strength is the fact that he's "running" a presidential campaign (running for an office in itself makes you qualified for that office????) ---which is exactly what Colmes did during the GOP convention---then you know he's out of gas.

I enjoy the show for what it is---some fun back and forth partisanship, with both guys making good points and both blowing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted