1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann breaks story? Why no play?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, May 28, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I caught part of Countdown last night and saw KO detail McCain's ties to Phil Gramm, who has ties to UBS/lobbying.

It's a bit complicated, but an interesting story nonetheless.

Why no play today? It doesn't seem like anybody's picked it up. Is it because KO is a TV guy whose show really isn't seen by that many people?

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/27/233320/204/832/523934

dailykos link = [/Fen]

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

There's your answer.

Seriously, though, I think we're going to hear a lot more about McCain's ties to lobbyists in the coming months.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't currently have MSNBC as Verizon doesn't carry it.

I can only assume that the "Straight Talk Express" is not actually asking people to board but instead is hoping you just lay down on the tracks.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I watched it ... very good reporting, but too complicated for the average person to understand. I had to pause and rewind a couple parts. The regular media would rather cover the "performance" aspect of the horse race.

I find it very troubling that McCain has employed Phil Gramm to be his top economic advisor given Gramm's ties to UBS and his documented lobbying against bills that could have helped some people avoid foreclosure.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's that damn liberal media, at it again ....

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I generally like Olbermann, but the more he establishes himself as the Special Commenter, the more difficult it is for him or for "Countdown" to have credibility as a news show. This story probably should be bigger than it is, but perhaps a lot of other news outlets are saying, "Well, consider the source..."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This should be a story... but it shouldn't be unique to John McCain. You don't get to play in this game without being beholden to a lot of people. Whoever gets elected president will ride in with a lot of IOUs -- whether it is John McCain, Hillary Clinton or Barrack Obama.

In this particular case, though, Phil Gramm isn't John McCain. The fact that there is a revolving door between political service and private industry, in which former elected officials later use their influence with their old cronies to make money in the private sector shouldn't surprise anyone. It is VERY common. There are hundreds of former congressmen and senators involved in the game at any given time and they may yield more power in this role than they did when they actually were in the House or Senate. Phil Gramm is an example. And they get rich doing it.

This is hardly damning for McCain, though. It should be--but it if it damns him, it damns just about every candidate who ran for president. They are all being advised by people who come from industry. Just some examples:

Hillary Clinton's former campaign manager, Maggie Williams, earned at least $175,000 serving from 2000 to 2007 on the board of Long Island-based Delta Financial, which filed for bankruptcy last year after a history of high-cost loans to low-income borrowers.

Obama's national finance chairwoman, Penny Pritzker, was chairwoman of the board of a Chicago-area bank in 1993 when it adopted a subprime business strategy that regulators say ultimately led it to collapse in 2001.

Is anyone surprised?

Either way, damning the candidates because of the private sector dealings of someone on their advisory team would be a slippery slope that would kill every candidate.

If you wanted to find the people McCain himself actually does take money from, it isn't all that hard. The thing is, he's no different than Hillary Clinton or Barrack Obama in that regard, either. This link is pretty interesting.

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/obamas_lobbyist_line.php

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's Barack, Ragu.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know it wasn't clear who I was talking about. Thanks for the clarification. :)

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The difference, though, is that McCain has made "fightin' the lobbyists!" a cornerstone of his campaign, much more so than Obama. It's supposed to be a part of his maverick image/attitude. Instead, it turns out that his campaign is run by the same lobbyists he says he's against.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Legislators kowtowing to special-interest dollars is Kryptonite to legitimate
    representative democracy.

And I don't claim to be the originator of that insight. It's been declaimed for decades, and few are willing to listen.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I wouldn't begrudge Phil Gramm the opportunity to make money in the private sector. But when he does it by lobbying Congress on behalf of a company that bought up a bunch of bad loans and wanted legislation to diminish its financial burden by ruining American families, then he should not be the chief financial advisor to a presidential candidate.

It looks particularly bad for McCain on two fronts. The obvious one is that it goes against the spirit of his "no lobbyist" campaign pledge. The less obvious one is that McCain is taking economic advice from shady people with bad track records like Phil Gramm, an outgrowth of the fact that McCain admittedly doesn't understand the economy very well and has never produced much of a plan to confront the housing crisis. I guess we now understand why.

Draft saved Draft deleted