1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann better suited for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Although I also dislike Randy Moss, I see his talent. I don't see where Olbermann is a "once in a generation" talent.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

NBC pulled him off election coverage at the urging of Tom Brokaw. His performance was an embarrassment to the legitimate news folks.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, the Keith not voting thing was what immediately popped into my head when a colleague told me about the suspension last night.

Well, that and "oh, that's why we got the e-mail memo on political donations this afternoon."

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just the topic, thank you.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The "liars" at Fox News? Sounds like you're letting Obama pour his Kool-Aid into your head. If the Fox folks are liars, are you telling me that Olbermann, Matthews, Franken (yes, I still include Franken here), etc. are always truthful?? If you believe that, IF, then you are naive.

6. Boom_70

Olberman is a smart guy but has zero intellectual honesty. Really a problem for all the cable talkies.
    Matthews showed some in the past but has lost it now that he has bought into the MSNBC format.

One of the things that made Russert so credible was his intellectual honest even though he leaned left.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I like Keith's Show. It's fun. I lean that way, and I enjoy it. At times he is mean, but, he at least makes some sense.

That Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Beck, Hannity bit about President Obama spending $200 million a day and $2 billion for the India trip should have gotten them all fired for gross negligence for journalism.

It is ridiculous.

When that goes down, there is only scorn and a laugh. When Dan Rather goes after Bush, it is a "sin" to journalism. Give me a break.

I don't get why leftwing media has to play by different rules than rightwing. For people who agree with Foxnews, that organization can do nothing wrong and it's all about providing what people want. They have more presidential aspirants working for them than legit news anchors.

MSNBC tries and goes the other way and Maddow and Olberman have developed a niche, and they are panned for it.

If Olbermann and Maddow didn't work, they would be gone.

Why the double standard?

8. Boom_70

This has nothing to do with Fox - Olberman broke an internal NBC policy

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Kind of a bogus excuse. There is no material harm done by breaking the policy. He is already considered a partisan, and other people on the network have donated. Politico is reporting that he refused an on-air apology, and he should have refused that. He has nothing to apologize for. He shouldn't be anchoring election coverage, that's my only qualm. he should be there for analysis and opinion.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

And Keith did not just decide to park his butt at the main desk Election Night and call himself an anchor. He was put there by somebody above him on the corporate flow chart. He's an anchor and Scarborough's not?
    The way cable news is set up, the line between anchor and analyst has been rendered useless. Hannity hosts his own show, but he's an analyst and KO isn't just because Brit Hume happens to sit in the big chair on election night?
    Rachel mentioned the flap on her show Friday night. Wonder if she's in trouble now.
    I've also read on a couple of sites that with NBC's impending sale to Comcast, the new overlords wanted KO out of there, and are also targeting Ed Schultz. It may also have something to do with Lawrence O'Donnell's insistence that the Dems lost because they were too liberal.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

A network spokesman released the following statement via email:

STATEMENT REGARDING KEITH OLBERMANN - SUNDAY, NOV. 7

From Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC:

After several days of deliberation and discussion, I have determined that suspending Keith through and including Monday night's program is an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy. We look forward to having him back on the air Tuesday night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/07/keith-olbermann-to-return_n_780141.html

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Our long national nightmare is over.

Draft saved Draft deleted