1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann better suited for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At 8pm time slot Fox gets 4 mil viewers and CNN and MSNBC get a mil each.

I think Fox loves Olberman in that time slot.

Sooner or later NBC News is going to worry more about their credibility than their meager ratings at MSNBC

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course. Cavuto's one of the shiniest tools in the precious Fox box.

3. I'm a huge KO fan and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

At Fox, they don't care how badly they're kicking KO's ass in the numbers. Every day he is still employed in the television business, they are doing a slow burn.
    And don't get me going on Cavuto. At least we know O'Reilly and Hannity are opinutainment. Cavuto is the worst kind of corporate whore there is. In his world, the ordinary working man, union or not, = al-Qaida.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is crazy talk. If KO were gone from MSNBC, they might actually come up with someone who could compete with FOX. As long as he's there, they have no chance.

What would happen if MSNBC put Rush Limbaugh on in KO's time slot? He'd blow O'Reilly away.

CNN's programming is more pathetic. Parker-Spitzer? Is there anyone who thought that would work?

Outside of New York, Spitzer is only known for his love of hookers & keeping his socks on while doing the deed. (And attempting to go bareback.) Inside New York, people know him as a mean, petty, vindictive person.

Parker is the kind of Conservative that liberals love because she takes shots at Palin & others. But she has no constituency among conservatives. Who were her fans that she was bringing with her to CNN?

Did CNN even feel out someone like Limbaugh to see if he was interested? Because if they didn't, then they weren't doing their due diligence.

They could have put someone like Mark Steyn, Karl Rove, Charles Krauthammer, Jonah Goldberg or others in that role and attracted conservatives who are sick of Bill O.

Hell, Ann Coulter would have brought them more attention & viewers than their current train wreck of a show.

But, their ideology prevented them from thinking along those lines.

KO might be the biggest star on MSNBC, but he's a big fish in a very small pond.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Limbaugh's done TV. He bombed (when he was at his absolute peak, right after '94, when every restaurant seemed to have a Rush Room). The can't-miss proposition missed badly. He's a radio guy. O'Reilly's a TV guy. They both failed trying to poach on the other's territory.
    MSNBC bringing in a conservative at 8? When Number 2 tries too slavishly to imitate Number 1, it becomes Number 3. And Rachel's ready for the big chair if KO self-destructs or is destructed - she will make Fox sicker than Keith ever did.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maddow holds more of KO's audience than Hannity holds of Bill O's, so MSNBC probably wouldn't drop of much if they slid her in at 8:00 PM.

But MSNBC still wouldn't approach FOX's numbers.

Hannity has double her numbers & Bill O triples Keith's ratings. It's not close:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/17/cable-news-ratings-for-tuesday-nov-16-2010/72511

As for Rush, maybe he wouldn't kill, but he'd do better than anything MSNBC or CNN has on currently. To not even reach out to him to gauge his interest is really crazy.

Also, his show was always a syndicated show. It had terrible time slots on mostly independent channels. In New York it was on at 2:00AM.

The show went off the air in 1996, the same year FOXNews started. It's a much different environment now. If you put him on in prime time, on one of the three cable news networks, he'd draw big ratings.

I don't think he'd want to do it. He's incredibly rich and I think he likes his free time, but if you're a cable network programmer and you're in a distant 2nd or 3rd place, don't you have to at least talk to him?

Draft saved Draft deleted