1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olberman Has His Wings Clipped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was only a matter of time but based on his convention performance and viewer complaints NBC has decided to remove Olberman from anchor position during rest of election.

From the story its obvious that he has become an embarrisment to GE/ NBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/business/media/08msnbc.html?_r=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

NBC once the gold standard of election coverage- not the laughing stock - much due to Olberman

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Olbermann is not the problem.

We're the problem.

This country is doomed.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know about doomed, but we are indeed the problem. Olbermann might be the messenger.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting, boom.

I can't stand Olbermann, but that decision is gutless.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Figured this was coming.

However, shoddy reporting here:

The following night, Mr. Olbermann and his co-anchor for convention coverage, Mr. Matthews, had their own squabble after Mr. Olbermann observed that Mr. Matthews had talked too long.

-----

Not what happened.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When you're right, you're right, Simon.

That wasn't what happened at all.

7. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Good move by NBC.

Olbermann can have his opinion and express it on air... but as the anchor, thats not his position.

Also - if you're going to express your opinion, some civilized manner would be nice if you're on national television, instead of "Mr President, shut the hell up."

It was a schtick that Olbermann found - and proved pretty successful - as the counter to Fox's BOR. But to make him anchor in a Shep Smith/Brit Hume/Anderson Cooper role (and perhaps MSNBC had issues, like Russert's death, etc. filling a position) was a bit extreme for the big opinion he swung.

I - being a bit right myself - have no problem with Olbermann being on air and expressing his opinion, but we should not blur the line between anchor and commentator.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We the media, or we the people?

Who are we blaming, other than NBC for compromising any kind of journalistic integrity by putting some of these loons on the air and pretending they can fill the void left by Russert?

9. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

From the arcticle: "The McCain campaign has filed letters of complaint to the news division about its coverage and openly tied MSNBC to it. Tension between the network and the campaign hit an apex the day Mr. McCain announced Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. MSNBC had reported Friday morning that Ms. Palin’s plane was enroute to the announcement and she was likely the pick. But McCain campaign officials warned the network off, with one official going so far as to say that all of the candidates on the short list were on their way — which MSNBC then reported."

You have got to be kidding me.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Weird thing is.... David Gregory was the OBVIOUS choice for this the whole time.

11. Simon_Cowbell

God, do I hope McCain gets landslided.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I dunno - that clip is on you tube and it makes the Times obervation seem pretty accurate.

I don't think the decision is gutless at all. NBC has always had a fine repurtation for fair political reporting - much due to Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert. Russert has to be spinning in his grave watching Olberman in a matter of weeks chip away at NBC's credibility.

Olberman was on track to

Draft saved Draft deleted