1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman sold to the Gatehouse Gang

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paynendearse, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gatehouse fired Harry King, the longest tenured sports writer in Arkansas, via an email. He spent 50-plus years covering sports in the state for the AP, then the Donrey/Stephens/Gatehouse crew and didn't rate a phone call.

He was working as a stringer at that point for $75 per column. Seems Gatehouse couldn't afford him any longer.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

At least with GateHouse, it sounds like you don’t find out you’re fired when your email login stops working. Unlike some other companies.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I read about Gatehouse doing buyouts at its relatively new property in Austin. Haven't seen that happen yet in West Palm Beach.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It'll happen eventually. They might merge the Daily News and Post. Why have two papers cover the same area?

5. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

The Daily News, which I worked for in 2007-2009 (and for a few years after that in a freelance capacity), has a small circ and just covers the town of Palm Beach and the society scene. It's printed on the white stock paper and has the nickname "The Shiny Sheet." It doesn't really compete with the big metro, the Post. Also, during the offseason, the Daily News is a twice-weekly.

6. Severian

OK. How could this prevent Gatehouse from not gutting it or merging with the Post?

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Post is a real newspaper. Daily News is high-society fluff. Good luck combining that stuff.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We're talking Gatehouse. They'll look at the bottom line of the spreadsheet, lay X number of folks off and then the editor will have the cops reporter from the Post covering charity galas as well.

9. Slacker

It's two discrete markets, though. The One-Percenters on the island don't want a real newspaper. They don't even want real newsprint because that dirty ink rubs off on their manicured fingers, which is why the Daily News is printed on the "Shiny Sheet" special stock. So I wonder how GateHouse could combine the two papers without losing the wealthy subscribers on the island.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have never seen the Daily News but it appears to hit a much different market than the Post and hence would be difficult to merge. But Gatehouse will gut it.

11. Severian

Don't put it past GateHouse. Those bastards will find a way.

And, I'm sure, the rich people will be fine without a newspaper poking around their business.

12. Slacker

Well, no worries there anyway. Have you seen it?

Palm Beach Daily News

GateHouse might find a way to gut it, but those islanders do expect their social scene to be covered every week.

Draft saved Draft deleted