1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman sold to the Gatehouse Gang

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paynendearse, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Anshutz getting out of print? GateHouse gutted the Register Guard out this way, and wasted little time doing it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many Oklahoman staffers get downsized by the end of the fiscal year?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

End well, it won't.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

First ones found out today. No idea what the numbers are.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no inside knowledge but it does make me wonder if he’s freeing up capital to try to make a purchase he’s long wanted to make. That being said, seeing The Oklahoman get sold to GateHouse breaks my heart. Sports and news, they do such fantastic work there (and we love poaching their talent ;-) ) I hope The Gazette in the Springs doesn’t suffer the same fate. A lot of good folks down there I enjoy reading, even when competing against.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told reliably via the still-active Moddy Pipeline that sports staffing is not affected

Matt Stephens likes this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm betting at least a third of the staff will get the boot.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There's no way Gatehouse improves that newspaper/internet site. Cuts, cuts, cuts have to be coming. It's the Gatehouse way.

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't know why the Twitter author would suggest the immediate downsizing is "unbelievable". GH does this in every market they purchase; eventually, if not immediately.

12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'd imagine the shock is over the "check your phones to see if you have a job" route the Oklahoman and Gatehouse decided to take.

studthug12 and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted