1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma- what region?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 23, 2008.

?

In which region of the U.S. is Oklahoma?

1. Midwest

29.3%
  2. South

9.8%
  3. Southwest

41.5%
  4. All of the above- it's a mix

19.5%
  1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When i think plains i think nebraska, kansas and thats like it

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Like really? OMG!

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Truthfully, you could split the Midwest into ...

• West Midwest (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, western and southern Iowa, western Missouri, probably South Dakota too),
    • North Midwest (the rest of Iowa, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the UP, and the northern half of the lower peninsula)
    • South Midwest (downstate Illinois, Indiana south of U.S. 30, southern Ohio, eastern Missouri, urban Kentucky)
    • East Midwest (Chicagoland, industrial Michigan, Indiana north of U.S. 30, northern Ohio, perhaps even western Pennsylvania)

They're all very distinct regions. Chicago is the capital of East Midwest; Kansas City of West Midwest; St. Louis, Indy or Cincinnati of South Midwest; and the Twin Cities of North Midwest.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think we've stumbled across the truth that "Midwest" is a somewhat shaky concept.

Anyway...some damn fine reading, even when it's not football season:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/features/si50/states/nebraska/flashback/

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

LOL!

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your point is not met because you know what OMG! is.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: What's the best table at Mickey Mantle's restaurant?
    A: The one Mickey's under.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

these states that think they need their own identities need to realize how little impact they actually have on the rest of the world ... and i'm looking at you, too, texas.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to the AP college scores, Oklahoma is in the Southwest, along with Texas, Arkansas and New Mexico.

That said, Tulsa is a decidedly Southern city from my experience with it.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You mean Texas that used to be its own fucking country Texas? You're saying it doesn't deserve to have its own identity?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come on. You should know that the world revolves around Texas. Or so the girlfriend likes to tell me.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

PET PEEVE ALERT! Not you Steak, but the AP is about 15 years behind on revamping their collegiate agate.

Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas being in the Southwest, the original reason was because of the Southwest Conference, makes no sense in this day and age. How 'bout moving them by conference, mmkay AP?

Draft saved Draft deleted