1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma- what region?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 23, 2008.

?

In which region of the U.S. is Oklahoma?

1. Midwest

29.3%
  2. South

9.8%
  3. Southwest

41.5%
  4. All of the above- it's a mix

19.5%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fucking awesome

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Wikipedia wusses out by placing Okla. in a mythical "South Central" region along with Tex., La. and Ark. Whatever. To me, that's just saying it's in the western part of the South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_United_States

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think we can rule out the Midwest.

I voted Southwest, but Great Plains is probably a more apt description.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great Plains works. God does it ever work. I know first hand having driven down I-35.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. mantle sucked nuts.

6. writing irish

I've noted that many people in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma dislike the "Midwest" moniker and prefer "Great Plains." Particularly people in Kansas and Oklahoma, whose states haven't as much of the Scandinavian and Slavic heritages that help tie the Dakotas and Nebraska to their eastern neighbors. I think the "Great Plains" folks have a very legit point, but since "Great Plains" isn't traditionally considered the name of a U.S. region, I'll leave the Midwest/South/Southwest choices as are.

7. Bubbler

It should be its own region. As you noted, the cultural differences between, say, Kansas and Ohio are pretty vast. Heck, the differences between Indiana and Wisconsin are pretty major.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Arkansas has a pretty shaky regional ID also. People from outside the South lump it in there, but most of the population is in Little Rock and points west, which really aren't very southern at all. And God only knows where West Virginia fits in.

9. Bubbler

Appalachian, and I don't mean that as some dopey hillbilly slam, should be its own region too.

West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, southeastern Ohio, parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland, western Virginia and North Carolina, eastern Tennessee and northern Georgia all fit the bill.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wait, we're not using Flyover Country any more?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

little rock points west?

12. writing irish

Yeah, it really should be its own region- ND/SD/NE/KS/OK- Great Plains. The fact that people outside those states often don't get it just adds to the "no one understands us" feeling I picked up on when I lived there.

AR, WV and MD are other pretty regionally ambigious states.

Draft saved Draft deleted