1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Vows Review of Botched Execution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 1, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I guess one solution to the death-penalty conundrum, then, is to simply legislate that a convicted murderer is no longer a person, he/she is simply a bundle of cells.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure. All pro-choice advocates just want abortion to be safe, legal, and rare. Right?

And, you can work against every effort to make abortion safer or rarer, and still call yourself pro-choice.

You can be against restrictions on late term/partial birth abortions. You can be against a waiting period. You can be against mandatory counseling/education. You can be against adoption be offered as an option. You can be against parental notification for teens. You can be against requiring doctors to have admitting privileges at a hospital. You can be against requiring an abortion facility to maintain the same standards as other surgical centers.

You can hold all of those positions and you wouldn't call that individual "pro-abortion".

Yet, if I were to tell you that I'm not pro-gun, I'm am pro-choice on people being able to freely exercise their second amendment rights, you would fight me on it.

You would say that I'm not for restrictions on the sale of guns. I'm not for a limit on the number of guns. I'm not for restrictions on certain types of guns. I'm not registration of guns, or trigger locks, or waiting periods, or "gun free zones".*

You would tell me that by definition, I'm "pro-gun".

Yet, you would never say the same regarding an abortion advocate. You would respect their opinion, and call it "pro-choice".

That's not consistent.

* I'm not saying this is necessarily my position on all of these issues, though I do believe them all to be reasonable positions.

3. YankeeFan

Once we determine you have a "lack of humanity" we can rule that you are just a bunch of cells.

This would allow us to swiftly deal with a number of problems, including Donald Sterling.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Read my public vs. private distinction a few posts later before you start a fight with me.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You guys mock the pro-choice view of this, but you'll get nowhere in the debate until you address it/refute it with some degree of seriousness. The attempts to pinpoint the start of the ability to feel pain is an example of a step in the right direction.

Mock the "inconsistency" between the DP and abortion stances all you want, it doesn't register with the other side. It's just a way to whack each other off about your moral superiority.

6. YankeeFan

That would be a reasonable argument in the early stages of pregnancy.

When we're talking about partial birth abortions, it's absurd.

There are abortion survivors walking the planet today, btw. If they were just a bunch of cells, you wouldn't end up with a live baby when an abortion didn't go as planned on some occasions.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll remind the distinguished poster from the Midwest that mocking and moral superiority ain't my stock in trade.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Meanwhile, back on topic ...

* Lockett was tasered the morning of the execution after refusing to be restrained to go for X-rays (what purpose that serves I have no idea).
    * The IV line was inserted in his groin after they couldn't find a vein anywhere else.
    * The director of the department of corrections refused to answer a question about whether a resuscitation was attempted.
    * An official timeline doesn't mention anything about the 10 minutes between the calling off of the execution and Lockett's death.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/oklahoma-clayton-lockett-tasered-before-botched-execution

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

To me, while I do believe life begins at conception, that's irrelevant to abortion.

The choice to have an abortion comes when you realize you're pregnant. That's well after conception and the percentage of a child being born is far, far higher than it is at conception.

Anyway, where I get off the pro-life train is those who are anti-abortion and anti-birth control. That's as contradictory as the anti-abortion, pro-death penalty camp.

I'm as pro-pro-pro-birth control as one can be. Education, provided birth control, I'm all for it. If you're anti-abortion, you ought to be radically for birth control as it takes the decision to have an abortion off the table to begin with.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very well.

Have every potential gun owner look at bloody videos of gunshot victims, have them talk to family members of gunshot victims so they know the consequences of their potential actions, have a doctor tell them what happens when a bullet pierces a vital organ in graphic detail, give them a 72 hour waiting period so they can think about the risks of having a gun, and make them undergo a full physical and mental exam before they have a gun so they can show that they are fully capable of comprehending the information that they are being given before they can buy a gun. This physical exam should require blood tests, and a rectal probe to show that the gun owner is healthy enough to own a gun.

You'd go for that, right?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have no problem with how the dirtbag sufferred, maybe at some point he had an empathetic thought for what he did to those people.

Some people, by their actions deserve to be removed from society, a heinous crime deserves a heinous death.

12. YankeeFan

Are these the requirement to have an abortion procedure?

Draft saved Draft deleted