1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Vows Review of Botched Execution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 1, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm the reverse. I'm pro abortion and I'm pro-death penalty. But the death-penalty sentence needs to be something in which there is 100 percent no doubt that they committed the crime, such as McVeigh or Bin Laden.

Bob Cook pointed out that 4 percent of the death sentence inmates were innocent. Well, 96 percent are guilty. Figure out a better way to reduce that 4 percent to zero.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of Catholics, I think.

3. Dick Whitman

Isn't that what the trial is to figure out?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There isn't a sane person on the planet who is "pro-abortion."

The opposite camp in the political sphere is "pro-choice," meaning they believe it's everyone's individual right to choose.

I seriously doubt any sane pro-choicer would argue that MORE abortions are what this country needs.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot of them but of the ones I do, they're pro-death penalty.

6. Baron Scicluna

Not all trials are equal.

7. Dick Whitman

So how do we, then, for purposes of sentencing, determine which guilty verdicts are reliable and which ones are, "eh, seems like the guy to me" verdicts?

8. Dick Whitman

I'm pretty much anti-DP and anti-abortion.

The latter is not something I volunteer too often among my liberal friends, that's for sure. Nor the woman I live with, though she knows I'm queasy about it, at the very least.

An pro-choice person, though, would not see these as at all equivalent, because, in their estimation, that's not a baby. It's not a person. It's a bundle of cells.

9. Baron Scicluna

Bad wording on my part, although sometimes I'm not always fond of using "pro-choice" as a term either.

For me, a lot of it is based upon not wanting women having abortions with coat hangers again when there are better alternatives. It's more of a safety thing than a rights thing.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably is where the demographic is strongest, but I know a lot of pro-death penalty and pro-choice Catholics too.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is exactly right.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Count me among the anti-DP and anti-abortion people.

I don't know how we can support state-sanctioned executions. I don't know how anyone can believe life doesn't begin at conception.

I do, however, believe that the death penalty is a public issue, while abortion is a private medical decision, not unlike euthanasia.

Draft saved Draft deleted