1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma teacher fighting the evil left ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 22, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My dad was left-handed, and when he entered first grade in the early 1950s the nuns were intent on making him right-handed. Fortunately my grandma put a stop to that.

My grandma was extremely Catholic and believed most of the religious claptrap, so I assume she only put up a fight because of the widely held (and since disproven) belief that forcing lefties to change caused stuttering.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had relatives (not in Catholic schools) who were "trained" to not be left-handed. Not because of any religious thing (as far as I know), just in the belief that they'd be better off.

Then there was that study that suggested that left-handers tend to die younger than right-handers. The reason why that inference, from that study, is likely mistaken is pretty interesting, and it's linked to efforts to "re-hand" lefties:
    Sinister Statistics: Do Left Handed People Die Young?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I see.

My dad also was left-handed, as is one of my sisters.

Nothing evil about either of them.

They both perform their voodoo rituals the same as anyone else would.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jerry Don Gleaton is indeed the Antichrist.

Draft saved Draft deleted