1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma student newspaper does basic reporting, gets media session canceled

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 13, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. Riley is no more hiding something than the basketball coach who conducts practice in an exclusively purposed, keycard-accessible practice gym is hiding. Every coach has the right to privacy. The difference is that outdoor activities are harder to exclude entirely from public view.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wow. That may be the most brilliant post in Twitter history.

Liut and maumann like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Or, what I wrote: that they just didn't think of it.

I'm sure OU coaches and officials are thinking the student reporters/editors are young, inexperienced, immature and unprofessional.

What about OU people? Well, let's see. They're older, more experienced, and being much more immature, and very unprofessional, especially after the fact.

superhater likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont know, seems plausible that the building the students climbed to the top of would only be accessible to a student. Dorms and even academic buildings often need an on campus swipe card to open the front door. This seems like a unique thing a student can take advantage of that a Rivals writer or newspaper beat guy cannot

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Growing up in the country, a privy was an outhouse.

Hermes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

C'mon, you're just digging a bigger hole for yourself. I know they close practices. Why? To hide stuff. People always find out. It goes back to John Thompson and Hoya Paranoia at Georgetown. What a bunch of shit.

HanSenSE and Mngwa like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fair. I’m done with it. The kids did great, the story was advanced, the pros got beat. No harm and no foul, just a win for journalism.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Afterschool activities director upset with student coverage of afterschool activity.

This country really needs a mental health intervention.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Is there any college football reporter in the country -- whose program holds closed practices -- that does not know the vantage point from which they could see practice?

During the pandemic, if you did not attempt to see into practice to gauge what was happening and whether teams were following league/school protocols, were you really covering your beat?

The only argument I would listen to here is that the OU student reporters could have used the information in a way that did not blow their cover.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good on the OU kids. Shouldn't have explained how they did it, though.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Rece Davis just gave the cub reporters a shoutout on GameDay

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

As a prep writer waiting for a practice of a school I didn’t normally cover to end. I made sure to tell the coaches who I was when I arrived.

“You didn’t have to do that.”

“Well, I didn’t want you to think your opponent was sending spies.”

“Son, we run the Wing-T. We only got three fuckin’ plays.”

Draft saved Draft deleted