1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State women's coach killed in plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OJ1414, Nov 18, 2011.

1. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

:'( My heart goes out to the victims' families and the Oklahoma State community.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

God damn, that's just awful. Thoughts and prayers to their families & their team. Have to wonder what the recruits they visited on that trip are thinking as well.

Coming back from a recruiting trip.

Coaches do this hundreds of times a year. Probably a drivable trip but because they're in season they jump in a small plane so they can get there and back quickly. Imagine a lot of folks will be thinking about that today.

Before he was at Kansas Terry Allen was the long-time head coach at Northern Iowa. He walked away from a small plane crash in a similar situation. Took a quick trip to see a recruit and was on his way back to Cedar Falls when the plane got into trouble. Luckily the pilot was able to ditch in a corn field and nobody was killed.

And those of us who are old enough remember what happened to Bo Rein.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You also have to feel for the girl whom they were recruiting. She'll probably feel responsible for this tragedy for the rest of her life.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Yes, this jumped immediately to mind. ... I got to know Kurt during his days at Allen County. He wasn't there long, but man, oh, man ... you knew he was going to be good. RIP, amigo.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Former Oklahoma state Sen. Olin Branstetter and his wife Paula were also on the plane.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Man, this is awful, I can't imagine what they're going through at Okie State today.

I remember talking to the former football coach at Microville Tech after the private plane he was in on a recruiting trip lost power and descended about 5,000 feet on a glide before power was sazfely restored. Ironically, that pilot and his wife later died in a private plane crash, not sure if it was the same plane or not.

The number of politicians, athletes, musicians, etc., who have died in private plane crashes is staggering. Hale Boggs, Ted Stevens, Paul Wellstone, George Mickelson, Ken Hubbs, Cory Lidle, Tony Lema, Otis Redding, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Big Bopper, Jim Croce, one of the Vaughns (?), and I know I'm missing a lot more.

It's faster than driving, but not anywhere near as safe. I won't fly in a private plane and have to be desperate to get into a prop commuter plane, even though it has a qualified pilot and FAA safeguards.

8. Inky_Wretch

Flying is safer than driving.

According to government stats, about 1 in 7,000 drivers will be killed. For those on airplanes, it's about 1 in 1.5 million.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

RIP to a true class act.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

One of the most depressing texts I've got in a while. Takes me back, and I'm sure many others, to 2001. So sad. Rest In Peace and prayers for the families.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

YEah but he is talking about small, private planes. Remove the massive commercial flights nad I think the death ratio goes up for small private planes.

12. Inky_Wretch

Yes, I'm sure it does. But I'd still wager flying in a private aircraft is safer, statistically, than driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted