1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State coach Gundy blasts Oklahoman columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Precious Roy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He had a right to react in public, think we all will accept that.

But he had no right to react the way he did.

And while we're talking about feelings, why not talk about the writer's feelings? How does she feel being humiliated by an asshat such as this? Kind of funny that he talks about ripping the "kid" a new one, but he has no problem returning fire and raising it up a level.

2. Hiro

Hiro Member

And Monday morning she heads in, sits in on the Oklahoma teleconference and writes a column -- not too negative but not a puff piece -- for Tuesday and make no mention of it.

I think that's the only reasonable reaction.

And I'm not sure when the OU press conference is, just using it for an example.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The kid's mother was FEEDING him???!!!

Reminds me of the scene in Home Alone. The kid tells the old guy: "Wearing dinosaur pajamas can get you beat up in the second grade."

What grade do you get beat up in for letting your mother FEED you?

4. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Gundy is a total mental midget. That video is so funny because he looks like a little boy who had some candy stolen from him.
    His brain can't be much bigger than a pea.

The sweet irony of it is that Gundy only proved the columnist's point that the kid must be a big baby.
    Why else does a 20-year-old kid need his coach to throw public tantrums to defend him from "negative" newspaper articles?

5. The applause at the end really adds to the supreme comedy of the video clip.

I didn't think much of the column, but Gundy's reaction--especially after a win--was childish and ridiculous.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Have you ever noticed coaches who are winning, don't come up with theatrics to take the focus off their losing team? His stunt may have fired up his club yesterday, but it won't work in the long run. If you saw the Troy game, OSU defense is not very good and all the ranting and raving in the world won't change that.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do they hold the booster club buffet in the same room as the press conference?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The fact his mom fed him a bit of chicken is a non-issue. It speaks only to that particular moment, in which maybe mom had some chicken and quickly fed him a bit.

If the column were a fluff profile piece on dude and his family, the chicken thing would have been seen as being colorful and cute, like "Oh gee, he and his mother love each other."

The coach is an ass. And I liked what somebody said on her blog: the coach is bitching about hurting a kid "who had his heart broken." Well coach, since you're the one who made the call that broke that heart, enlighten us.

And everyone who applauded in the press conference should have their access to those PCs taken away. Those are the fandorks who coaches are playing to when they act like A-holes in their conferences.

9. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I thought the chicken anecdote was great and very, very telling (here in A2, we walk through an area where many Michigan players and coaches tailgate after the game. I've seen a lot o f things, but I've never seen a parent feeding a player).

The Big 12 should fine him at a minimum and would be perfectly within its rights to suspend him. Totally unprofessional behavior. If a reporter did anything similar to a coach, player or parent, he or she would be fired.

As for this ...

Yep, I'd write about all of those things under the right circumstances. Every single one of them. And I'll write about absolutely anything that happens in front of me, as long as I'm in an area the press is allowed to be in and it's important to my readers. That's what they pay me for.

Click the top? Please. All that does is send a signal that you're always off the record until you've clicked your top. You're much better off sending the message that you're always ON the record, unless you say otherwise.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm sure the NYPost is awaiting your application.

Wasn't rape being thrown around in the Aunese story? That would make it newsworthy.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Likewise.

Another response: "Are you finished?"

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Jim actually has a pretty good job at a pretty good paper. But judging from your fanboyish Steelers posts and your insensitive Virginia Tech comments, you wouldn't know good, objective writing if it bit you on the ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted