1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State coach Gundy blasts Oklahoman columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Precious Roy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I hope somebody on the B12 conf call Monday asks Gundy how he knows the facts in the column are incorrect because Gundy said he "doesn't read the papers." Does somebody read them to him. Or does Gundy have his facts straight. Also, if you watch his rant a few times, it's not like he goes point counter point and rips up the facts in the column. He doesn't answer with any specifics, does he?

2. Reid is 21. He's certainly not a child.
    And I take issue with Gundy's contention that the athletes shouldn't be criticized because they aren't professionals.
    What is their package worth these days -- tuition, room, board, travel, training equipment, trainers, etc.
    If they are in high school, you might take it a little easy on them.
    If they are playing a revenue sport at a BCS conference, from a program that claims it is becoming "bigtime," they are open to criticism.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've been scouring the Oklahoman's Web site for a follow-up from Jenni, but can't find anything. If someone does, can you please post the link?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That column was pretty weak. I mean, she basically called the guy a sissy for letting his mom feed him in public.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do you disagree with that point?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your right, but what's you're opinion on how she should have written it?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

My mom said she'd feed me until I turned 34.

I haven't eaten in 25 hours.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Gundy is not a happy camper

Lucas, he's just taking a page from Fat Charlie, Jim Calhoun, and Auriemma on how to lecture reporters on how to do their jobs.

Gundy, you read the papers. The papers are telling you the same thing: you are a dumbass. I hope the Oklahoman responds and nails him.

Uh, if the story pans out to be true and if Jenni saw Reid getting fed by his momma, it isn't a rumor. It's a fact.

Rumors and ramblings, if I interpret them as a non-journo, is what columnists call "news and notes." If something gets passed to a writer, it's their job to research and see if the story or rumor has some legs to it. If more than two or three sources are on the money, then you run with it.

FDP, it wasn't about his momma feeding him and you know that (if you read the column).

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have used the phrase, "Word is," before introducing speculation because all that does is give the coach/player/whoever an out to say that you heard wrong. And that's what we saw from Gundy here.

That said, it was a complete overreaction by Gundy here. I've worked with Jenni Carlson before, and I would be stunned if she were to back down because someone berated her at a press conference.

10. Gundy is a punk and that was a ridiculous and uncalled-for meltdown.

That being said, that was a dogshit column.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I also think the column was weak, based on a lot of speculation and centered around a pretty meaningless detail that his mom fed him a piece of chicken after the game. Who fucking cares? Unless she was whirling the fork around and talking baby talk before crash-landing it into his mouth, it adds nothing to what she's trying to get at.

That said, Gundy's response to it was completely stupid, over the top and pretty much uncalled for. Just another example as to why college football coaches are the most unreasonable assholes in the world.

The applause makes me sick to my stomach. OSU needs to make press conferences for the press only based on that horseshit.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

"WHO'S THE KID HERE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THIS STUFF MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE!!!"

Too funny.

If you're Jenni, how do you react during this diatribe?

In a perfect world I think I'd sit there, arms crossed, just staring right back at Gundy. But that's got to be mortifying for any journalist to have to sit through.

And yeah, those looser fanboys clapping in the background need to be shot. Every college has 'em, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted