1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State coach Gundy blasts Oklahoman columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Precious Roy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

OSU head coach Mike Gundy after beating Texas Tech.... This was his response to a column written in The Oklahoman by Jenni Carlson.

Enjoy, I know I have

http://www.koco.com/video/14182021/index.html

The column in question... Sorry

http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190474803

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Gundy is not a happy camper

Care to give a synopsis for those of us who can't stream video at work?

3. Precious Roy

The Carlson was a lot of "rumblings" and "through the grapevine" stuff about why Reid was benched, and it was not founded on anything concrete.

Gundy took offense, of course, and since she was there in Stillwater, Gunday came in, and just started yelling at her directly while holding up a copy of the paper in question. He yelled, pointed and just told her that she wasn't telling the truth and she must not have a child because if she did she wouldn't have written it.
    I just can't do it justice, the talk around our office is that if Carlson were a man, Gundy might have hit her, that's how heated this was. He went on for a good few minutes and then stormed out without taking questions or talking about the game.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least she showed up and took the heat.

But the line about her not writing the story if she had a kid? As if childless women don't have feelings?

5. Precious Roy

I just love that Gundy said that the paper was given to him by a mother.... of children. Like it could have been given to him by a mother of puppies. Then again, if your dog delivers the paper to you...

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Who were the asshats applauding him after his tirade?

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't know Jenni Carlson - have never worked in Big 12 circles - but if she had good sources, she had every reason to write that column, especially after the scene of Reid's mother feeding him chicken. He comes off terribly in that column.
    And Gundy comes off worse - that's one of the most thin-skinned reactions I've ever seen in my life. Pathetic.
    Wonder if he would have had the guts to do that if the Cowpokes had lost today??
    At least Carlson isn't a Jay Mariotti type who tucks and runs - she was obviously there to take the heat today.
    She deserves an apology from Gundy at the very, very least.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

That's bullshit, little boy actions from Gundy. Ridiculous. Grow a pair, man. Oh, I forgot. You must have lost yours. Jesus ...

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

What a jackass.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Gotta love it when a coach tries the CYA moves when something like this happens.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gundy could have said that she doesn't know shit about covering sports because she's a lady.Or he should have let Geno tear into her.

Gundy looks like a fucking deer in headlights on the sidelines.  Yeah he beat Tech, they had to outscore them to do that, but he has nothing to hang his hat on since taking over.  

EDIT: I don't see why Gundy is bent out of shape about it. It was about Reid and whether or not he has the balls to play up to his expectations. BigRed, coaches like him will never apologize to reporters. It's beneath them to even try.

12. Re: Gundy is not a happy camper

I don't know who they were, but it wasn't media. It was people in the back of the room.

Draft saved Draft deleted