1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma restaurant refuses to serve gays, welfare recipients and the disabled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

You have a choice to be, as Fart put it, a sloppy drunk and I have no problem with an establishment kicking out a sloppy drunk. You also have a choice to watch certain things on TV and not watch certain others, so when B-Dubs has UFC night, I'd rather not go there since I have no desire to watch MMA.
    You however do not have a choice over your skin color, sexual orientation or disability. This establishment is excluding people for something they had no control over. If the owner had a problem with people being disorderly, fine, kick out the disorderly people. That's not what he did though. He issued a blanket ban on anyone he stereotyped as disorderly.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ethnic groups of all kinds have their own social clubs. I used to live across the street from an Italian social club in the Bronx. No WASPs among its membership.

In New York City alone, you could find hundreds of social clubs, and very few would be WASPy.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Quite true. I guess it's just more the other way around out this way.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's bars and restaurants in every city where your average well-adjusted person knows better than to go into. Not all of them are like this place in Oklahoma, where the bigotry is "traditional."
    There's plenty of bars in black and hispanic communities where a white person would not be made to feel welcome. Do you apply the same, "everyone must be made to feel included" standard to them?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes.

Although I'd be open to peeling them back slowly and testing the waters. If the South gets as bad as it was in the 1930s, then rethink.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This asshole is getting the Internet vengeance he so richly deserves.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garys-Chicaros/136482116399150

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicaro-club-enid#query:gary%27s%20chicaros

Samples:

"I was disappointed by the lack of comprehensive discrimination. Sure, he's anti-gay and racist against African-Americans, and he doesn't have a lick of political intelligence, but where is the Eskimo hate? If I dine at an establishment, I want to know I won't have some filthy Eskimo at my elbow. Until his official shirt states as such, I won't be dining at Gary's Gay Bar."

"Whether you're a fruit fly or a big hunk looking for your prince charming before dick o'clock strikes turning you back into a poor house servant, then this is the place for you.

The bartenders serve you strong drinks practically naked and they hand out free flavored lube and condoms during their happy hour. The go-go boys are to die for, I love the way they swing around those stripper poles like a sexy Tarzan.

Bring all your friends and family!"

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And on the one hand, it's funny stuff. On the other hand, is it right for people to create a fake Facebook page for a place of business -- and it is still a place of business -- and make misleading claims?

What if someone's new in town and wants a real gay bar? You want to send them there?

Another example where people are a little too edgy for their own good.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

But, we don't expect any harm to the waitresses, do we? :) [maybe should be blue font]

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is from the first posted story, but I was rather confused by it:

"Earlier this week, he told the local paper anyone who wears a hat inside a building is gay, and will be asked to leave."

Wearing a hat indoors makes you gay now? Is this hats of all kinds or just fedora-type hats? Does he consider a baseball cap to be a hat? because if so, I know a lot of farmers who now apparently are gay by that standard. Not sure if they know it either. What about cowboy hats? He clearly lives in a very rural part of the country, if a cowboy roles in for a beer after a hard day in the field, does he think he's going to go all brokeback on him if he does not remove the hat? I know many cowboys that would have issues with this.

Now that I think about it, my editor likes to wear his fedora inside -- I think it makes him feel like a real newspaper man -- I wonder if that means he's gay as well. Which for so many reasons that I can't get into here, I find hilarious.

And by "gay" does he mean it as they are actually gay? or the still homophobic "Oh that's gay"?

So many questions.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Afraid you may need a stickfromassectomy, shottie.

I thought some of those comments were pretty damn funny. But, unfortunately, I don't think this guy's clientele will be deterred by facebook reviews. I'm guessin this publicity will only mean more customers with new narrow minded twits looking for "their" type of place finding it.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know, I've got to be honest. I didn't believe this theory was legit at all. Then, I accidentally wore my winter hat into work today and, next thing I know, I'm blowing three dudes and a fourth is railroading my dirt button like there's no tomorrow.
    If only I had known!

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The term "dirt button" never fails to make me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted