1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma restaurant refuses to serve gays, welfare recipients and the disabled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This guy is on really thin ice. I would not want to be him over the coming months.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So, if that report and the T-Shirt are accurate indicators, this guy does not want as customers people who qualify as freaks, gays, minorities, disabled, on welfare, or democrats--and yet his restaurant has been thriving for 40 years? What does this tell us about the population of Enid, Oklahoma? A slice of Red State America at its finest.

And I like how the guy in the wheelchair acknowledges that he too was a regular customer who simply turned a blind eye to the customer-banning policies ....that is, until he got kicked out himself. Yeah, but you were secretly against it the whole time, right buddy?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

BTW ... how would he know if someone is a welfare recipient? They'd obviously be coming in and paying money.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Swipe yo EBT

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fights inside and outside. Cops called more than once. Lot of loud cussing and people vomiting. It was a bar a couple of blocks from the newspaper and about the only place close by that was open after deadline. Not the greatest part of town. Several of us used to go and hang out for a while after work. I stopped going after a while.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hopefully, there'll be an unfortunate fire soon.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He saw someone who was black.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I understand the counterarguments, and the law's the law, but to me it's his restaurant and he should be able to serve who he wants.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I thought Chick-Fil-A's were already in Oklahoma.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In 2014, you're OK with discrimination based on race? Are you endorsing a return to the 1950s and earlier, when restaurants and hotels posted "Whites Only" on their front windows? Is that the kind of America you espouse? I really hope not.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Where did he say he was "ok with" discrimination?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

OK with it? No.

Willing to let it exist for the sake of personal freedom? Yes.

If someone wants to put up a "No Autistic Kids" sign in their restaurant, I'd be annoyed and I might just raise hell, but I wouldn't necessarily want the law to force them to let me take my son in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted