1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma restaurant refuses to serve gays, welfare recipients and the disabled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.news9.com/story/9764682/enid-business-owner-catches-heat-for-discrimination

A few things on this, how does this not violate any state or federal law?
    Second, a dollar is a dollar. It doesn't matter if it comes from a healthy, straight, white male Christian or a gay Muslim in a wheelchair. Why is it good business to turn away paying customers?
    Please don't give me that crap about how if you serve the kind of people you don't want to serve, you'll drive away the kind of people you want. That's just not true. People go to a restaurant to eat food. Being in an atmosphere free of the kind of people they don't want to be around is not why they go someplace.
    As I said, a dollar is a dollar and he'd make more money if his place welcomed everybody.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Chicaro Club?

Talk about gay ...

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's Oklahoma. The guy will do a land-office business catering to the supporters.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why is a story from 2009 making the rounds now?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Possibly. Do you go just anywhere when you're hungry? When you're taking someone else?

Say what you will, I've done that. If a place is full of people I'd rather not be around, I just go someplace else. Not that hard. I almost never go to nightclubs or bars anymore. Just witnessed too many scenes that I'd rather not witness. Not that hard.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Damn good question.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe a follow up story would be a good idea?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes starts the BEST threads.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

But his cars won't start...

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But will they sell cigarettes @gretchencarlsonwenttoStanfordtoo

11. Inky_Wretch

What scenes were you seeing that so offended you? Because the only offensive things I usually see in my bar are people ordering bad beer or undertipping.

12. Inky_Wretch

I think this story ... http://kfor.com/2014/02/06/graphic-language-enid-restaurant-owner-gets-heat-for-alleged-discrimination/ ... churned up the 2009 story.

Classy guy. He put the N word on his t-shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted