1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma prep player makes game-winning shot ... on wrong basket

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What a nightmare ...

http://newsok.com/class-3a-boys-shot-in-wrong-basket-gives-millwood-stunning-victory-over-hugo/article/3763680

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

37-36? What a barn burner

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hey, he could start for the Hornets.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Play the right way:" keep the score low, keep it close, and one big play can make the difference.

::) ::)

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Covered an 0-21 team this season, mostly freshmen.

One freshman took the inbounds and scored in her own goal.

Another game, a second freshman tried the same thing, but missed the uncontested layup.

It was all i could do not to write, "The Podunk Beavers couldn't even score in their own basket."

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to throw the kid some love, they've started a #hughugo hashtag on the Twitter to show him support. As you'd expect, he's taking it pretty hard.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see some kid do it on purpose, to spite his teammates or coach over some petty sports squabble.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've wanted to see someone do it on purpose to fuck up the point spread.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What a dumb ass. He should stick to playing soccer (where own goals seem to be an accepted part of the sport).

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I love adults who lob insults at high school kids. Really shows how mature you are.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Couldn't the winning team as an act of sportsmanship elect to forfeit the victory? I know this won't happen, but it would be nice for a team to say we didn't deserve it.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just the sportswriter in me, but I'm more confounded how you would jigger the box score for it. Do you credit the closest defender in something like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted