1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football now winless in 2005

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bomar is at Sam Houston State and Quinn is at Montana.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's even goofier than changing the records in the first place. And changing the records makes no sense. People saw a bunch of cheaters go 8-4, then they went 8-4. Add footnotes to the record book (couldn't the NCAA insist on one of those 208 pages list previous infractions?), but don't take out what actually happened.

3. But both those guys are now at other NCAA schools (though I believe both are I-AA). Had they not paid back the money, the NCAA wouldn't have let them play anymore anywhere.
    These penalties are crap. I think they encourage team to cheat (and you can't tell me OU had no idea about this place, because it's the same dealership that let Adrian Peterson drive a car for months for free and had a handful of players working there) and then just kick off any players who are caught cheating. Then the university goes, "We acted swiftly and have no complicity in this matter."

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

whaja expect? Paul Dee headed up the investigation.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder what the penalty will be for USC with the Reggie Bush fiasco, huh?

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm absolutely crushed for offensive lineman J.D. Quinn...all of his numerous records must now be erased from the books...

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Careful, Okie, or else the NCAA's sanctions against you for not properly calling it the Football Championship Subdivision could include the vacation of 200 of your posts. :)

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks slappy. It was an oversight on my part. :)

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's just fooked, to borrow your word. When St. Bonnie took the hit for hiring a welder to play basketball, their record changed from 13-14 to 1-26*. (* - 12 wins forfeited)
    How is this any different?

And on a lighter note, the ad right below the reply box is for mybama.com: "All you need to know about Bama sports - When you need to know it!" I swear this software has a sense of humor...

10. KoM

KoM Member

The whole changing of records after the fact is the NCAA's way of pretending to be on top of things. Whether those guys got a few perks or not did not change the fact that Oklahoma was the better team on the field at the time. Make the guilty players ineligible. Dock the school a couple of scholarships. Punish them for violating rules (which is what they did: violate rules, not cheat), but trying to rewrite history is just goofy.

The NCAA can retroactively change the result of game on paper two years after the fact, but when they have unquestionable evidence in real time that officials affected the result of a game, they just say "Sorry."

It's like a cop giving a guy a speeding ticket for doing 30 in a 20 at 1 a.m. but missing the drug deal two blocks over.

11. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

[blue]Hey, offensive linemen cheat just as hard as every other player![/blue]

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

USC and Bush? Hmmm

Gait and Syracuse? Hmmm

Seriously though, how many national titles would be left?

What happens when the NCAA forfeits both teams from the same game? Is the result an invisible number? A loss with a repeating decimal bar over the top? LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL~

Draft saved Draft deleted