1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football beat writer - The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 12, 2011.

1. They just filled it with someone from a major, major SEC beat.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the paper may post one soon. Gina just posted her farewell blog:

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/huddle/2011/08/19/end-of-the-road/

3. printdust

printdust New Member

So her "national beat writing" experience was at a college paper? I'd guess that if the guy from Carolina got low 50s, she'll get upper 30s. As good as she might be, wasn't there someone out there who had rock solid experience at a mid-level paper covering a college?

4. scribbler

scribbler Member

Yes. You are. Guessing.

You're way off on the salary paid by The Oklahoman for its OU football beat. The OSU beat hire? You're off on that, too.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

If I'm higher on both counts, that's bad.

6. scribbler

scribbler Member

Nah, it's not. It's good.

Travis is a very good hire for OU football, the paper's premier beat. He's worth the nice salary.

The OSU hire was a different process: Hire a young, hungry reporter, put her (in this case) in Stillwater (read: live there) and let her cut her teeth. How will it work out? We'll see. But those were different hires, two different expectation levels, different salaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted