1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football beat writer - The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great hire...

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Gina Mizell from the Beaumont Enterprise will be covering OSU this season

http://newsok.com/article/3593369

3. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

I'll be the first to say this was an outstanding hire, even though I'm incredibly biased.

Gina has been an outstanding reporter in Beaumont and I have no doubt she'll be the same thing for The Oklahoman.

They hired a good one.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Great for her.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

No kidding. Is it just me, or is this a tremendously big jump?

6. JordanGarretson

JordanGarretson New Member

This young lady was doing the same internship last summer that I did this summer. I am pretty damn impressed, that's a nice couple of gigs to start your career with.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Seems big, but if she possesses the skills, why not hire someone young who has a good chance to be there for a while?

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Oh, I'm not holding it against her. I think it's great someone young is getting the chance. Just don't see it very often (hardly ever anymore) is all.

9. NickKosmider

NickKosmider New Member

I worked with Gina for three years at Arizona State, where we shared the football beat for the Sun Devils. Gina is an absolute pro, and the Oklahoman is lucky to have her. I can't wait to read her coverage.

10. EricSmith

EricSmith New Member

Ditto to what Nick said. Gina was my sports editor at ASU, her passion and commitment is unrivaled. I'm looking forward to seeing her do great things.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

This is the exact opposite what they did with the OU beat and will show the other end of what the Oklahoman is good at. Mainly, getting a good young reporter and making them great.

12. KyleGlaser

KyleGlaser New Member

I too worked with Gina on the college staff at Arizona State a both a writer and editor...not only is she an excellent writer, but she is as passionate about her beats as anyone I've ever met and as such is able to churn out excellent work across a number of different mediums. People often talk about "new age" sports writers who can do a little bit of everything, and Gina is a model for this "new" type of writer who can do it all.

Also, a first-class human being to boot.

Draft saved Draft deleted