1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football beat writer - The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 12, 2011.

1. But who will fill up my Twitter feed with tweets fellating the South Carolina baseball team??!!

Seriously, this is a big loss for those of us in SEC country.

2. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Haney is very good. He will do a great job covering the Sooners.

3. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

Okay and I say Who? And from where did he come? Rest my case. They found a guy they can pay low 50s to. Hardly the big-time hire predicted on this board. But sounds like a solid hire.

4. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I heard he narrowly beat out Joe Posnanski and Stephen A. Smith.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm glad he did. I couldn't stand having to listen to Screamin A sitting down there where the Oklahoman sits. I would have had to carry my iPod

6. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

You're in a hole. Stop digging. You have no idea what you're talking about.

7. scribbler

scribbler Member

Yep. Agreed. This hire is a very good one. And the hire was not low-balled.

8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Good for him. I enjoyed Travis' work before he moved on to Charleston, when he covered the Braves for the Morris News Service wire.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

From what I heard, yes, but I can't remember a name.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Huge get for them. Huge. Travis did a freelance piece for my page at FanHouse that was one of our best read during our time there. He's very, very good and this is indeed a "name" hire.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is this Travis the same guy who used to cover the Braves several years back?

If so, very good writer...

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

He did cover the Braves for a season or two (succeeded Bill Zack?). He had a real good extended feature on the Braves' two Cuban players at the time (Yunel Escobar and Brayan Pena) who were childhood friends and their separate voyages to the States.

Haney I believe was succeeded by Brian Costa (former Miami intern, later turned AJC preps writer, back at Miami?) before Morris disbanded their wire service, save for stories from their respective papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted