1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football beat writer - The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 12, 2011.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Are you speaking generally or about these openings?

2. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

If you think someone's leaving an SEC beat at a good paper, which the hire will be to take this, for peanuts then you aren't too sharp.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Glad to see everyone around here is in the know.

The name for the OU job is a pretty big name. And he/she is going to leave behind a job that everyone who didn't get the OU/OSU job will be applying for in about two seconds.

As far as OSU goes, I don't think there's anything definitive yet. But the names I've heard, nothing "name-wise" like OU.

4. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

Fellas nobody in their right mind is leaving a big-time gig to come to the Oklahoman unless they are being pushed out the door. They don't pay that well, which means your current shop should be able to match without a problem. I guess we will soon see who is right.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I heard it's Skip Bayless.

6. mb

mb Active Member

I guess this all depends on your definition of "big-time" gig and "big name."

7. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Job was filled last week. Don't know who.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Just curious, how much would you expect the OU football beat writer to make, in today's current state of journalism?

9. scribbler

scribbler Member

The Oklahoman pays a very decent wage for its premier beat, especially when compared to similar jobs at similar newspapers in the general region. And it is paying the new hire very well. A very good new hire, by the way.

10. I would say $60k at least. Unless they hired someone only a couple years out of school.

That's what I would "expect." Not saying that's the case.

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I'm sure it's not 60, but everyone also has to remember that the cost of living in Oklahoma is extremely low. And if you buy a house, the property taxes are next to nothing.

If I had to guess, I would place the OU job in the low 50s and the OSU job not too far behind it. But you can do very well for yourself in OKC for 50K.

12. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Now that he's announced it, I can let you know the new Oklahoma beat writer will be Travis Haney. He's been covering South Carolina for the Charleston Post and Courier...

http://www.postandcourier.com/blogs/gamecocks/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=6076b782-972c-43ee-b7e6-6c16fbce4f12&plckPostId=Blog:6076b782-972c-43ee-b7e6-6c16fbce4f12Post:750134d9-1f21-4505-8262-a50dc5ebcc18&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Draft saved Draft deleted