1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma football beat writer - The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Born and raised in Tulsa. Never understood the flack The Oklahoman received. Always great sports coverage and the Website is one of the best around.

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

The Oklahoman took a lot of flack (and still does) because of the right-of-conservative editorial views and the prayer on the front page. When the Columbia Journalism Review named it the worst paper in America (in 1998 or 1999, I think it was), the Gaylord family took it very personally and worked hard to improve its image. It's done a good job. Like I said earlier, the benefits were/are outstanding. I assume it's still the same, but when I was there in 2008-09, if you stayed for 10 years the paper would pay for vision correction surgery. After a year or two, the paper would provide $5,000 in adoption assistance. At the time I was there I paid about $160 per month for health, vision and dental for me and my wife. And it's great insurance, too. The paper has a fitness club, basketball courts, a cafeteria, etc.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think they still do Monday sports as a tab (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I almost wish they'd switch to seven days a week with that. With as sports-mad as that state is...

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I'd have to imagine they will be moving quickly on this with the season approaching, no?

5. A former ME of mine worked there for a few years in the '90s and said the paper was amazing in terms of what it did for its employees, and it sounds like it's true.

6. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

These jobs have to be filled pronto, right? Anyone have any news?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You'd be surprised how many of these jobs are still open when the season begins, even when there is more than enough time to make a hire.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm hearing they are close to a hire on both the OU and OSU beats, maybe as soon as next week.

9. mb

mb Active Member

I'm hearing Oklahoma is done. And there's about to be another almost-as-big-boy job open because of it.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Heard they were targeting big names, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As well they should.

12. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

Trust they are not going after any "big names." The Oklahoman does well with young undeveloped talent that it can pay peanuts to until a big boy comes calling.

Draft saved Draft deleted