1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma family massacre

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Maybe, if you're being criticized by a fellow poster whose newspaper reading habits are similar to Sarah Palin's.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm waiting for Slate. Or maybe John Oliver.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Show me all the posts where I discuss John Oliver.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I was being light-hearted.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's an emoji for that.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As for naming or not naming, I see this nearly every day as a news guy.

Some of the law enforcement agencies will send releases that name all parties in a car crash. However I'm sensitive to this because if it was not one party's fault from the report and that person didn't die, I won't name them because in 2015 I don't think it is fair that a Google hit pulls up a news story on a car crash where they weren't charged. If they die, that's different.

As for shooters, you have to name them, even if they are minors. You'll have a trial and a sentencing to cover. It isn't like writing around Redskins or Indians in sports highlights. Gotta use their names.

Final tangent on home schoolers.

I live in a neighborhood with a substantial home schooling population. It's almost always for faith based reasons and that makes more sense as we live next to a highly rated public high school. Out of the 15 or 20 kids in the neighborhood I know who are home schooled (we know a bunch through church), all of them are incredibly polite in our interactions and seem to be very high academic achievers.

We had a kid in the national science bee and geography bee and the home school kids freaking dominate around here because they can spend all day in the weeks leading up to the competition only doing science or geography.

7. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Did you see it among MSNBC's talking points? Hell - the Wall Street Journal is one of the last remaining truly mainstream media sources with any ounce of credibility minus bias.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't watch cable news. Did they play it big, I take it?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So did the Wall Street Journal have a reporter in Oklahoma to file this unbiased account?

Or perhaps they got the story from a biased news source and they ran it through their de-bias machine?

10. Doom and gloom

You don't watch cable news?

You have my admiration.

11. Doom and gloom

Depends on the eye of the beholder when it comes to "biased news source."

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Who watches cable news, outside of oil change shops and, ummmmm...?

Draft saved Draft deleted