1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Beat Writer with Daily Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 6, 2012.

1. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Well, sure, Brain. But where are we going to find 80 pounds of peanut brittle?

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I just hate this question. There are people who have landed job of this quality straight out of college. Other folks, who have covered colleges and pros for metro papers won't get this job. The only way you'll know if you're qualified is to apply. Here's what you need to know: If you lack experience, you need to be able to make up for it with an absurd amount of talent and serious connections. If you lack those things, but think you have the experience, then apply. But you still have to be awesome. Being excellent — like really, truly exceptional — is what will determine who gets this job. Not the resume. So just apply. The worst that happens is you don't get it and you're left asking the same question on the next thread.

3. djm825

djm825 New Member

Thanks, Harry. I applied a few days ago. The waiting game is not a fun one to play, though. I was just looking to those who posted and seemed to know a lot about the position to stoke or dampen my expectations.

4. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

The departing writer had a great track record before he took the job. The No. 2 on the OU beat before (who also went to ESPN) was hired straight out of his internship after graduating from Mizzou. The hire on the OSU beat last year came from the Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise. So, there hasn't been a real line of requirements for Mike Sherman to make a hire.

You want this job? You WOW Mike Sherman. Get his attention and show him how much you're going to kick ass at this beat, and he'll pay attention. If you've got the goods, he'll give you a look, no matter your experience.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

That was probably the nicer way of saying it.

Agree 100%.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Or, and I'm just throwing this out there, you buy him a car.

7. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

If he's still driving that minivan, that's a fantastic idea.

8. It is a crime that a brilliant Pinky and The Brain reference has gone without note for so long. I will not allow this travesty to continue.

9. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Much obliged, sir.

10. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Anyone know, or have an idea of, a timetable on this? I imagine, it being spring and Baldwin holding down the fort nicely, Mike Sherman can parse for the best candidates, huh?

11. Didn't have a chance to meet Travis personally before he left the USC beat, but have had a few interactions with him online and read his stuff, and he's one of the best in the business. Nice to see people move up the ranks who deserve it.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It appears Baldwin took over: http://newsok.com/mike-baldwin. What was his previous position with the paper?

Draft saved Draft deleted