1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Beat Writer with Daily Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 6, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It looks like this position is open again. Travis Haney is going to ESPN.

http://blog.newsok.com/openmike/2012/03/06/help-wanted-were-hiring-a-new-ou-football-writer/

2. mb

mb Active Member

Now *that's* what you call a cup of coffee.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well played.

4. QuoththeRaven

QuoththeRaven New Member

I live and work in the area. Go ahead and PM if you have any questions about the surrounding or OU football program.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

ESPN is making a habit of poaching the Oklahoman. They put out some fine work down there. And whoever gets this will get to work with one of the best columnists in the country, IMHO.

And one note: It's no longer the Daily Oklahoman. Just been the Oklahoman for a while now.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, Berry Tramel. :)

(On a serious note, I echo what you said. That's a great paper and I wish they could make sports a tab seven days a week with how big it is.)

7. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Big seal of approval for Mike Sherman. He was one of the biggest influences on my career when I was still in the biz. A great SE to work for.

I'm not a huge fan of the OKC metro area, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. The big thing is you'll be the most-read anything in the state. And The Oklahoman's website is second-to-none for their size.

8. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

The nicest sports staff in the country in my estimation. Not a rotten one in the bunch. Has to be a great work environment.

9. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Ditto. Met Mike while judging for APSE a few years back and he was great to work with there -- fun, helpful and has kept in touch, which doesn't always happen. This opening makes me wish I was still in the biz (as if I'd have a shot) ...

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a shot at a job like this, but I'd love to work in an environment like the Oklahoman.

11. djm825

djm825 New Member

What kind of resume has a realistic shot of landing this job? Any thoughts?

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I can think of a great way to find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted