1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Okay, what's up with this Hulk movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yeah, that's why i've been avoiding the commercials. at first, i really didn't want to see this one at all, but i slowly started to warm up to it.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Two things:

1. Among Hulk's traits is that he travels by leaping long distances.

2. A little comic called "X-Men" might beg to differ with your point on Hulk being the second-most popular comic. He has had the most spin-offs other than Spidey, but don't equate that with the comic selling mass copies.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I wonder if Marvel tries to fix the X-Men franchise. Cause that last one sucked.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That might depend on how the Wolverine movie does.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The comic book nerds/shop owners I've talked to say it is the second most popular all time. You've got to remember, for a while the X-Men were this lame-ass cartoon thing that not a lot of people were invested in.

Since the movies came out, I would agree that the XMen have certainly climbed higher up the list than Hulk, but IMO, it has more to do with the huge disperity in quality of films than anything the Xmen brand did to distance itself.

If you're of the mindset of giving this movie a chance, and I'm still not sure I am, then it could narrow the gap.

6. outofplace

If I remember correctly, the X-Men were a more popular franchise than the Hulk before the movies...but I could be wrong. Outside of the old TV show, I was never a big Hulk fan.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend saw it a couple nights ago and said it is every bit as good as Iron Man.

With Edward Norton in it, I believe him.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't X-Men No. 1 sell about 8 million copies ... in 1991? It's still a record. Hulk might have been strongest comic there is in the 1960s, but I'd say X-Men has been more popular, as a whole, since the mid-70s or early 80s.

9. outofplace

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/06/12/hulk-smash-cigar-butts/

I'm as anti-tobacco as anybody, but this is really stupid.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I forget who it was that was quoted, but in Entertainment Weekly's summer movie preview, a Marvel bigwig said the reason for bringing the Hulk back so soon is that he is the second most popular Marvel comic, behind Spider Man. I think I'll take his word for it.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner folks.

Personally, I don't get it. Never been big into Hulk and thought the first film was shit, but I'm seriously considering seeing this.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's not as big a disparity as it has been in the past, or as big as I thought it was, in terms of sales. Here's a link to figures for this year:
    http://www.comichron.com/MonthlyRankings/Diamond2008/tabid/227/Default.aspx

Hulk is getting a bit of a bump lately because they restarted his monthly book (second time this decade; it's kind of a gimmick for struggling books). I don't doubt that Hulk is ONE of their most popular characters. To say he's ahead of Wolverine, the Fantastic Four, even Captain America, though, is misguided. I don't care who says it.
    Now, for making a movie or TV show, Hulk is perfect. You have the split personality thing you can play off of, a few decent villains, a relatively small cast, and the old concept of Banner wandering America and trying to stay in control, while getting into trying situations on a regular basis. Pretty much what they did with the show in the 70s, and the comic over the last few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted